2012 E-Tec 150 HO issue

I appreciate anyone who wants to chime in. Welcomed!

I have a 2012 Evinrude Etec 150 HO Model # E150DHLINE
    I have used XD-100 oil For the past 5 years

short timeline : everything has been fine until I filled up at a Walmart gas station a couple of weeks ago on the way to Lake Cumberland (shame on me). I ran the boat the weekend before with zero issues although I had filled up at that same gas station.
    Get to the lake and noticed cutting out on first initial hole shot. It did this every hole shot that day and the next day as well. Since that trip, here is what I have done.
    Engine Idles fine and top end fine. (does get a little missy sounding and rough when idling faster than a no wake idle)

Siphoned the fuel that I could out of the tank. (I know I left atleast a few gallons behind) 17 gallons worth taken out -- mistake #1, I did not unhook the gas line from the engine and suck the rest out with the fuel ball ( I wish I had thought of that)

New OEM fuel / water separator

New Spark Plugs (indexed and torqued)

Filled tank with 87 Non Ethanol (30 gallons -- tank is 33 gallons so that tells me I left 3 gallons in the tank when I siphoned it)

This light tune up is about the extent of my comfort zone working on this motor to be honest.

I took it to the local lake

- out of 8 hole shots, there were 5 that it cut out on and 3 that were smooth
    - I added 24oz of seafoam -
    - took it back to the lake lake and the first 5 hole shots were smooth as silk - the next two, it cut out again. So now it is Intermittent! before I left for the lake, the boat had been sitting for about 20 hrs. Took a fuel sample and all looked good

Here is my Dilemma. My kids fish for Student Angler Federation for their High School. They qualified for State Championship last Saturday at Cumberland and The State Championship is next weekend on Kentucky Lake May 20th and 21st along with a day of pre-fishing.

OPEN QUESTIONS

What do I do?
    Run the Heck out of the boat before then?
    Drain the fuel again and make sure the tank and line is empty?
    Are there any dangers in running it?
    I am waiting on 2+4 to arrive (will be here after the weekend)
    Is Stabil 360 ok to run in an E-Tec vs 2+4?
    Am I hurting anything by running Sea foam?
    Should I completely empty the tank again and start fresh?

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!
    Last edited by Chillymac; 05-05-2022 at 10:29 AM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Seafoam is not a mechanic in the bottle! Although it cures most everything from Malaria to Leprosy it is not the cure all end all. Did you get any check codes?

3. Member
    I guess I left that part out. My mechanic is booked and cannot fit me in. I understand the sea foam is not a cure all but I was hoping to "un tarnish" injectors or lines.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I have talked to several people that service Etec injectors and they both tell me the same thing, they can tell when an etec injector has had Seafoam run thru it. I suggest using BRP Carbon Guard and 2+4 fuel conditioner. Take it out and run the heck out of it and see if the mechanic in a bottle helped out, but I believe you did more good by pumping the tank out and filling with fresh fuel. You didn't mention if you took a fuel sample to look for phase separation or not. Good luck to you and the kids.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I have talked to several people that service Etec injectors and they both tell me the same thing, they can tell when an etec injector has had Seafoam run thru it. I suggest using BRP Carbon Guard and 2+4 fuel conditioner. Take it out and run the heck out of it and see if the mechanic in a bottle helped out, but I believe you did more good by pumping the tank out and filling with fresh fuel. You didn't mention if you took a fuel sample to look for phase separation or not. Good luck to you and the kids.
    I have the 2+4 on order but will be here after the weekend. I did take fuel samples last night after it had set for about 15hrs tilted up. Gas in the jars looked clean.

Should I empty the tank completely just to make sure I got it all out and start fresh? Is it ok to run the seafoam?

Is Stabil Marine 360 ok to use in the E-tec motors?

6. Member
    Yup to Stabil 360, it’s ok.
    Suggest posting the same info to this site https://www.etecownersgroup.com/latest
    several dealers post there and can add additional thoughts.
    If you can have your dealer at least get a printout from EV diagnostics, this will offer additional information.

7. Member
    Huge shout out to Jet-A-Marina!!! Took the time out of the end of their day today to help me out! Great group of guys there! I can't thank you enough! One bare wire caused all of my issues. Back on the water!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillymac View Post
    I have the 2+4 on order but will be here after the weekend. I did take fuel samples last night after it had set for about 15hrs tilted up. Gas in the jars looked clean.

Should I empty the tank completely just to make sure I got it all out and start fresh? Is it ok to run the seafoam?

Is Stabil Marine 360 ok to use in the E-tec motors?

just avoid seafoam in a etec messes up injectors stabil great to use
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillymac View Post
    Huge shout out to Jet-A-Marina!!! Took the time out of the end of their day today to help me out! Great group of guys there! I can't thank you enough! One bare wire caused all of my issues. Back on the water!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    UPDATE!!! Had a wiring harness that had been rubbing on a mounting bracket and caused a wire to short out. This was causing the #1 cylinder not to fire all the time and shorting out.

Glad that was it and your problem is fixed.