Ultrex installation 2011 Puma ftd

My terrova quit due to water intrusion. I found a great deal on 52" ultrex with ipilot link. Looking for advice on install from those of you who have done it. I am using thru bolt method, do I need 6 bolts or are 4 sufficient? I'm thinking 6 due to how heavy the ultrex is. My boat has the aluminum plate under the cap. I'm not sure if it is big enough to accommodate 6 bolts. Will be using stainless socket head cap bolts 1/4-20 with fender washers and nyloc nuts. Also, where is the best place to mount my heading sensor? Thanks for any tips/help anybody can offer.

2. Member
    My fortrex had 4 bolts so when I changed to the ultrex I just went back the same way. I had some starboard under the trolling motor mount and the aluminum under the cap. I will tell you the front 2 are hard to get to through the hole. Find someone with thin forearms. A few scraps and a lot of time spent trying to get the nuts started, and finally got it.
    BassCat Cougar FTD w/Suzuki 250SS

3. Member
    Heading sensor can go anywhere as long as there is no magnetic interference, you have a switchable power source, and the sensor can communicate with the controller. You can use velcro for testing before you fasten down permanently. If you don't plan on using the jog function, you don't even need it.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Thanks for the help, hope to get it installed this week.

5. Member
    Dave....Get it all figured out then let me know...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

6. Member
    got a Ultrex on a 2008 cougar and I have 6 bolts

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Dave....Get it all figured out then let me know...
    You could always come help! One thing I've found confusing from watching a couple you tube videos and reading installation instructions is that they say to mount the motor in the mount before installing the mount. I've installed a bunch of trollers over the years and can't make sense of this. I've always installed the mount to the boat and then installed the motor. Also, the instructions say that the motor isn't for use in heavy current

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by figueira View Post
    got a Ultrex on a 2008 cougar and I have 6 bolts
    I'm planning on using 6 as well if there is room to do so.