PSA: Stumpfield ramp road open <no message>

Thanks for the heads up
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    Stumpfield is one place where it seems like I always say i wonder if it will ever be as good as it once was. Went there with Mac 15-20 years ago and we had a handful of really good days. The last few times it seems like it was a grind to get 3 fish.
    Red Sox in 6!

Used to be one of my favorite places.
    I hardly ever go there now because it's so busy all the time.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Stumpfield is one place where it seems like I always say i wonder if it will ever be as good as it once was. Went there with Mac 15-20 years ago and we had a handful of really good days. The last few times it seems like it was a grind to get 3 fish.
    I remember the first tournament I did with Bubba Bassin back in 2007, fished one of their overnighters from 7pm-7am. Pretty sure there was 30 boats at that event, and a lot of big bags were weighed in from it too. That was right about the end of hearing about multiple good bags coming out of there on a regular basis, puts it right inline with your timeline too. Damn shame what has happened to that place. I know of plenty of big fish still caught there, but it's well past it's prime now.

6. Member
    Fished a over nighter with Queen City around 04 or 05 and the winners had like a 4.5lb average. We had a buzzbait limit by dark and caught nothing from 9pm until 7am.
    Red Sox in 6!

7. Member
    Stumpfield was my "home water" when I was living in Dunbarton in the late '80s, early '90s. I don't think it had milfoil back then, and the laydown was king. I got a 7 and a couple of 6s out of there, so I keep going back expecting similar outcomes. It was never a guaranteed limit-type lake, and I have to agree with everyone above that it's falling off the map since. There's a distinct lack of bait IMO.

8. Member
    If it’s the lack of bait(and it very well may be) I have two questions €) what was the primary forage and ¥) and why would it be gone? Another thought occurred to me,being how the Marsh is constituted could it come back or in 20 years will it be a marshy wasteland?
    Red Sox in 6!

9. Member
    It has small crappie in it (cast netted a bunch while trying for bait), never caught a decent sized one though. I haven't spotted golden shiners noodling the surface in there, but they may be there. It's basically a couple of creek channels with those flooded flats - surprising little water volume overall. IDK if the Army Corps operation of storing water during surges and dumping it later flushes the nutrients out? I don't see it matting up like some of the "bog" type places I visit.

10. Member
    Interesting thanks
    Red Sox in 6!