Stator Type? 2 listed on diagram

I am going to replace my stator and everywhere I look, I see 2 different models available for my specific serial number. When I cross reference them with "newer" versions or aftermarket models, they don't seem to be interchangeable and one is a 9 amp while the other is a 16 amp.

I have a 1993 Mercury 115hp, 4 cylinder, 2-stroke. The serial number is 0D230886 which is what I used to find the 2 different stators. When I look at the specs for both on multiple websites, it says they are both suited for a 1993, 115hp, 4 cylinder, 2-stroke Mercury.

Before I pull the trigger, I'm looking for any insight on if both will work, what the differences are, or how I figure out if I need the 9 or 16 amp version. My current motor runs like garbage under load and at high RPMs and it has an aftermarket stator. I'm not entirely even sure it's the correct stator so I don't feel comfortable referencing it for a replacement.

A link to the diagram is below and they are #9 and #9.

<See Announcements>

One other thing, the 9 amp model says it's compatible with a voltage regulator. The 16 amp model says it requires a voltage regulator. When I get home I will check to see if my motor has a voltage regulator. If it doesn't, I would assume I need the 9 amp. If it does, it appears either model might work?

Any insight would be appreciated!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-05-2022 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Announcements

2. Member
    16 amp system will have regulator mounted on top of attenuator /carb flange, my book shows 8778 only fits 9 amp , 9710 fits 16amp
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    16 amp system will have regulator mounted on top of attenuator /carb flange, my book shows 8778 only fits 9 amp , 9710 fits 16amp
    So I have the regulator shown in image #43, not the one in #40. I also have the 8778 stator on my motor which is the 9 amp.

Did the 9 amp versions come with regulators? I’m curious if the wrong stator was installed on my boat by the previous owner?

4. Member
    To add to the confusion… the regulator labeled as #43 looks totally different in the diagram compared to #40. When you scroll down, both of them physically look the same when they’re listed with their part numbers.

5. Member
    agree they are different and both should have been used on 16 amp systems the large reg was very early model
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    One other question, is the only difference between the 9 and 16 amp stators their charging ability? Or will they have an impact on ignition?