1998 E150GLECD starter issue?

Howdy y’all;

I'm trying to test a no start condition on my motor; I’ve followed the procedure in the manual, but the starter won’t kick over consistently; I’m still looking at the manual, but I fear I’ve reached a dead end.

And yes, I’ve read the threads tacked at the top, as well as browsing through the posts and topics before I asked my question.

Procedure on the bench, in a vice, voltage is fine, but starter only kicks when it feels like it; I’m thinking the brushes need to be replaced; I’m NOT a marine mechanic whatsoever, but, I’ve rebuilt countless alternators, and a few starters as well. I’m at a standoff, as I really (and probably without reason, fear messing with marine components), probably only due to the cost, and the unknown factor.

What say you, fellow Evinrude experts?
    Last edited by misterpbody; 05-04-2022 at 07:27 PM.

2. Member
    A starter is a starter. Nothing to worry about. The electrical function is the same as automotive. A parts catalog is your friend when you look through the parts breakdown of the starter. See it here. https://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=...439321175402/y

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Can you clarify?

Procedure on the bench, in a vice, voltage is fine, but starter only kicks when it feels like it; I’m thinking the brushes need to be replaced;

When on the bench in the vice does it kick in when it feels like it when DC voltage is applied? OR does it kick in consistently? Remember the starter is a gear reduction starter with the flywheel drive gear under the flywheel cover. If it is intermittent, then yes I'd suspect the brushes as well. If you don't feel confident with the rebuild most any auto electric shop can rebuild it for you. The last time I had one done it was about $75.00. For me it is more cost effective to take it to a shop while I work on other motors and pass the cost of the rebuild on to the customer.

4. Member
    I just wanted to say thank you for for all your advice; it was the brushes, just like you said, and the bushings also showed a bit of sloppiness, so I just bought a new starter, and problem solved! Thanks again fellas!!