97 90hp Merc/Force giving me a headache

97 Force 90HP Starts after sitting a day or two no problem whatsoever. The motor runs great 99% of he time.
    My problem is during the day after a stop and start or two it is very hard to start.
    It will finally pop off and run but takes way longer than it should.
    Sometimes after getting it started it will stall out when putting in gear. Other times it runs good.
    I replaced the syphon bulb and lines thinking that was the problem but no effect.
    Compression is 120 on all cylinders.
    Like I said the next time I go to take it out the first fire will work flawless, it's later in the day that has me on the edge of my seat.
    Serial# OE250170
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

2. Member
    spark on all cyls ????? carbs flooding ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    spark on all cyls ????? carbs flooding ????
    I am leaning towards carbs flooding. It smokes a bit when it finally starts when it acts up.
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you trimming it LEVEL and pumping the bulb firm before EVERY engine start (and on warm starts, using the Throttle-Only feature to crack the throttle open slightly)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Are you trimming it LEVEL and pumping the bulb firm before EVERY engine start (and on warm starts, using the Throttle-Only feature to crack the throttle open slightly)?
    Yes on the engine being level. I check the bulb and it is firm. When it acts up, sometimes I have to set the throttle open lever way more than just slightly to get it to start. Other times it will kick over with no extra throttle.
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you using a built-in fuel tank, or a portable fuel tank?

If portable... see if you can get a picture of the tank and lines.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Are you using a built-in fuel tank, or a portable fuel tank?

If portable... see if you can get a picture of the tank and lines.
    I am using a built in tank. The oil injection has been bypassed and I pre mix 50:1
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgiljr View Post
    I am leaning towards carbs flooding. It smokes a bit when it finally starts when it acts up.
    tilt mtr pump bulb with front of carbs visible ,no fuel should run out when pumping
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................