Just ordered a 23' RT178

I sold my Vexus AVX2080. I dont fish as much as i used to so i decided to get rid of my bigger boat. I ordered a 23' model Ranger RT178 with a 75hp Mercury. What is everyones opinion on the RT178 as far as stability, fishability, and just overall how do you like the boat. I know its gonna be different coming out of a 20' boat

2. Member
    I have a 2020 model (old hull design) with the 75 Mercury on it. I really like it. It is slow (40mph), but it rides great, is very stable, and fishes great. Other than the speed, I dont think you will notice too much of a difference, as this boat fishes "big". My last 3 boats were all 150 - 200 hp class glass boats (Ranger, Triton, Skeeter), as far as comfort and fishability are concerned the RT178 will hold its own all day long!

3. Member
    I'm past the speed phase, I've ran the glass boats with 250's as well. I dont fish near as much as i used to and this boat will help me get in some backwater areas a lot better.

4. Member
    Someone has the 178 at an electric only lake that I fish close to my house. And it is really nice. I looked through it one day and was impressed. I think you will love it. I love my 198p. Can I ask why you didn't go with a Vexus 17 footer?
    2017 Ranger 198p w/ Merc150 4stroke

5. Member
    Money wise, the Ranger was a better deal imo

6. Member
    I don't know about the 23 model specifically, but past models have been great boats. When you look at the measurements, the 178 is about the same width as the 188. That makes it very stable up front.

Personally, for me, I am very very happy with the 188 and I think I would be about as happy with the 178.

You are really going to like it.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

7. Member
    A friend of mine bought a new 178 last Fall with a 60 hp motor and it is a nice boat. I have only fished in it twice but it seemed pretty stable. He bought some Rubbermaid storage boxes to help organize his tackle in the middle storage box. Speed is not a strong point but that is expected.

8. Member
    I have a 2017 RT 178 with a Yamaha 75. I absolutely love it! No complaints whatsoever. With the trolling motor down, it’s as stable as any boat I’ve ever been in. As for speed, I couldn’t care less how fast it goes or doesn’t go. I’m never in a hurry when I’m fishing. 😁

9. Member
    I love my 2019 RT 178. It is a very stable platform to fish out of, even in rough water. In my opinion, the boat feels much bigger than it actually is.

10. Member
    You won't be sorry, great boat.

11. Member
    congrats on the new boat!!

12. Member
    I have a 2016 with the 75hp motor and top speed as mentioned is around 39 on mine with the spitfire 17p 4 blade prop but I feel like the handling is better. As far as fishing with the trolling motor down it’s very good for a boat that size especially with one of the seats lots of deck space. While the boat is stable depending on the size and how graceful your co angler is it will rock a little in some situations. Overall I really like the boat that is the reason we still have it almost forgot but some of my dry storage is not so dry on a rainy day but I never intend to fish on a rainy day either. To my surprise the boat is a very tight fit with a 8 foot garage door.

13. Member
    That boat is pretty wide for a tin boat that length. I have no doubt that it would be plenty stable in the water. Folks fished out of boats smaller than that for years and they got along just fine.

Congrats. I bought a 2022 RT178 with a 75hp yesterday. I pick it up Friday.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins