Shimano 21 Exsence, Sustain FJ, Twin Power FD, 19 Vanquish

I need one more 3000 size spinning reel and I'm trying to decide between the four in the title. I currently have a Stella FJ, Stradic FL, and an older Vanquish. Does anybody have any experience with the ones I'm considering or any insight on which to choose and which not to choose with reasons why? TIA.

2. Member
    These will be for freshwater btw.

3. Member
    Before you decide you might want to check out the Diawa Exist and Certate. Nothing wrong with the Shimano reels and Love my Stella FJ. The Exist comes with a lifetime of free cleanings.

4. Member
    Sure, I have all of these currently or in a previous generation (I have the 2018 Exsence) so I can certainly discuss them at length and perhaps a brief overview of each reel and where Shimano "intended" to place them for the type of fishing anglers use them for and we can certainly go into any level of detail as needed.

The Exsence is at heart a magnesium reel that has been "armored" with a special black coating (murdered out) to protect the magnesium from saltwater corrosion and is aimed at the inshore angler who requires light weight but needs the smoothness of a top tier reel such as the Stella or Exist. Other standout features that Shimano embedded into the Exsence is a next generation (for the time) MGL spool made of Shimano's proprietary carbon fiber material CI4, which reduced weight by 25% over a comparable aluminum spool and allows the Exsence to possess a 22% reduction in inertial start up making the Exsence comfortable and easy to use. I use my two 18 Exsence C3000MHG for dropshots paired with two of my Megabass Hedgehog Evoluzion F4st-69RSDti spinning rods and the combination makes drop shot fishing very enjoyable due to the light weight of the rod/reel combination being ~11oz overall. I have experienced no mechanical issues with either of my two Exsence reels.

The Twin Power is Shimano's do-everything workhorse saltwater surf casting reel that has been revitalized with the newest technologies very similar to the Exsence but with a more traditional aluminum frame, so it has the same smoothness of the Exsence since it shares much of the same features and capabilities but is more at home being around salt water as it does not need to rely on the special coating to protect itself against saltwater like the Exsence does. I have my two Twin Power C3000XH reels on twin Evergreen Poseidon Salty Sensation 8'4" Aji rods for presenting JDM style micro spybaits (2" or less) for when the smallmouth bass are focused on smaller baitfish in early summer and don't respond to larger crankbaits or other reaction presentations. Both Twin Power reels have been absolutely reliable with no issues.

There was a time, when the Sustain was second only to the Stella within Shimano's spinning reel stable and was endowed with almost the same features and capabilities of the Stella but at a fairly decent discount when comparing the two high-end spinning reels. These days, the Sustain has been re-invented for the US market as a mid-range offering that provides a steppingstone from Shimano's "bread and butter" reels such as the Stradic or Vanford but pales in comparison to the other reels being discussed here in overall smoothness and ease of use. I have two JDM 17 Sustain C3000MHG reels that form the basis of my fishing buddy's spinnerbait and Jackhammer arsenal (he only uses spinning gear), and they have the smoothness and toughness to present these fast-moving reaction techniques day in and day out with no adverse impacts to the reliability of either reel.

The Vanquish remains a JDM only offering from Shimano and is their entry into the "lightest" high-end spinning reel category when compared to its primary rival: the Daiwa Steez Type 1 & Type 2 spinning reels. The Vanquish is positioned in a unique place within Shimano's line up of reels, it has all of the features and capabilities of the Stella reels but is built primarily with CI4 and lacks the "timeless" elegance of feel that the Stella possesses. Standout features include a Titanium bail wire and the Vanquish has the same spool and rotor design as the Stella does. Many anglers often refer to the Vanquish as a "cheap" Stella which underscores how smooth and effortless the Vanquish is to use during the course of a fishing day. I have my two 19 Vanquish C3000XG reels mounted on my last generation Daiwa Steez AGS (blue) 7'6" MML spinning rods and the combination is a pure joy to use for presenting Okashira Screwhead jigs with a 3" Hazedong Shad for smallmouth bass. Like all the other Shimano reels I own, my Vanquish reels have been perfectly reliable and there have been no issues.

Bottom line, if you want to buy the best reel, get the new Exsence! If you want the best bang for your buck, get the new US-only Sustain. If you want the cachet of owning a premium JDM only reel, then buy the Vanquish. No matter which reel you select, they will all serve you well within the limitations of each reel and its associated features and capabilities.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss more personal impressions and experiences with these reels on the water or have further questions beyond this thread.

Please have a great day!
    Last edited by City17Banner; 05-04-2022 at 08:25 PM.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

5. Member
    City17Banner man awesome writeup!! Kind of had my mind made up on the Exsence to complement my Stella and older Vanquish but was curious about the others. Think I'll go with the Exsence.

6. Member
    I think the Exsence is a fantastic choice! All three Exsence 3000 size reels are in stock at Digitaka for ~$360!

You just have to wait for Golden Week to finish so everyone is back in the office next week.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    I think the Exsence is a fantastic choice! All three Exsence 3000 size reels are in stock at Digitaka for ~$360!

You just have to wait for Golden Week to finish so everyone is back in the office next week.

Please have a great day!
    That's where I was going to source from, couldn't believe the price. I've ordered from them several times and once had to wait the week. Unfortunately the Vanquish is out of stock and I wanted it for the "rarity" factor but have eyed the Exsence since the first model came out.

8. Member
    Shimano has improved on an already great reel so I'm certain you will enjoy the new 21 Exsence, it's like having the heirloom quality of the Stella but the light weight of the Vanquish all in one reel! I hope you enjoy your new Exsence reel and please stay safe out on the water sir!

Please have a great day!

9. Member
    Shimano has improved on an already great reel so I'm certain you will enjoy the new 21 Exsence, it's like having the heirloom quality of the Stella but the light weight of the Vanquish all in one reel! I hope you enjoy your new Exsence reel and please stay safe out on the water sir!

Please have a great day!
    Just put the order in!!

10. Member

11. Member
    Now you just need a JDM spinning rod worthy of such an exquisite reel sir!

12. Member
    Now you just need a JDM spinning rod worthy of such an exquisite reel sir!
    I haven't dabbled in that deep, just got started with NRX rods not too long ago. I have an empty Falcon Cara (US made) Squirrel Tail that I'll probably move the Stradic FL to and figure out which NRX the Exsence will go on, my Stella is dedicated to my NRX 872.

13. Member
    Those are all fine rods sir!

If you ever get the itch to dive deeper, just send me a PM, the JDM rod options are endless!

Please have a great day!

14. Member
    City17Banner is a great dude. Appreciate all the great info … carry on brother!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    City17Banner is a great dude. Appreciate all the great info … carry on brother!
    You are far too kind brother! I'm just freely sharing my knowledge of JDM fishing tackle and enjoying the discussion with everyone about this fascinating topic.

Please have a great day!