SC1000 Check Engine and Bell Flashing

06 225 Pro XS
    S#: 1B389296

Yesterday I noticed that the check engine and bell was flashing on my SC1000 (square one) but the engine is running the same as it has for the last 6 months. There is no audible alarm (but the test alarm does work when I turn the key).

I checked the manual but all it says is "Engine Malfunction" with no further information.

Some background...
    Engine Hours just hit 301.

Last week I got an overheat alarm idling through some weeds. Turned off the engine immediately. Water pressure/temps look good. Later that day the trim relay went bad.

I replaced both trim relays with 882751A1 and the trim is working fine. I left the battery connected when I replaced them idk if that could have caused an issue.

For the past 6 months or so I have been having an intermittent miss fire only when i'm in gear and idling (maybe once every 5 seconds). Checked my plugs and they all looked fine but I replaced them anyway. Typically I just give a small amount of throttle when idling to avoid it and figured that an injector cleaning might solve it.

2. Member
    Only way to know is take to a dealer and have the codes read.

What is water pressure at idle and WOT? Does your telltale appear within 20secs of startup and is it normal?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you been scrolling through the Calibration Settings?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Never touched the calibration settings.

Water pressure is fine. 2-3psi at idle 22+ at WOT

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely get the Full History Report from the G3 (Dealer) Diagnostic System, or from a Diacom System.

Note: One fault that may display the same Bell + Engine icons, but NOT have an audible alarm would be "Break-in Reset".

I mention this because sometimes an exuberant young person might get into the drivers seat, and with the key on, mess with the shifter enough to trigger the Break-In Reset.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks Don,

I don't have any little ones, but my shifter has been a little mushy/sticky and there is a small chance that it moved in out of gear rapidly without realizing me realizing. Fishing a 2 day tournament this weekend and will most likely put 2 hours on the engine.

I'll bring some extra oil just in case and see if it solves itself.

I would get the codes read and address the overheat alarm before going back on the lake.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Member
    I think I figured this one out. 2 of the 3 brown wires coming out of the compressor were disconnected, probably happened when I was changing the relay. Either that or I hit the 2 hour break-in period at exactly the right time.

Either way, the issue is solved.

9. Member
    replacing top cowl can cause wires to be disconnected sometimes , tie strap to high press fuel line cures it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by outsidesmoke View Post
    06 225 Pro XS
    S#: 1B389296

Last week I got an overheat alarm idling through some weeds. Turned off the engine immediately. Water pressure/temps look good..
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to clean your strainer either.
    1B737378 / 2009 - 250 PRO XS