225 VMAX OX66 reliability?

A good friend of mine is looking at repowering his center console with the above mentioned engine. Not sure what the year is. He would be buying from a dealer that claims it's been fully checked and serviced. Neither of us have ever owned a Yamaha. Is the OX66 a solid engine? Anything he should ask about or have checked further?
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

2. Member
    About the most reliable 2 stroke out there. They are still used and sought after in salt water applications. I had a choice between the OX and HPDI when I rebuilt mine and it was a easy choice after just a bit of research. Fully checked would be a compression check at a minimum. I would want to see that. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    The ox66 seems like an excellent engine. They do like gas and oil from my experience. Probably why they are so good. Be sure use ring free to keep carbon/soot cleaned out.

4. Member
    If the OX66 checks it is a good choice. Reliable easy to work on. The HDPI i was told by a yamaha master tech got 10% better gas mileage than an OX66. With that said he also told me they are reliable and easy to maintain.
    I have a 250hp ox66 and i love mine!

5. Member
    Best Outboards Yamaha ever made, far more reliable than the HPDI or SHO. Of course that also depends on how well it was maintained.

My 2000 ox66 was a great motor till it popped! easy to work on, sim yamaha is great to deal with. mine popped in 2006 and last fall. in 2006 hydrotech had a powerhead,
    A replacement powerhead, now it is very difficult/impossible to find.
    I will say the motor has never left me stranded!! both times it blew up, it got me back to the ramp safely!! And if a reputable place had a powerhead i'd have rebuilt it.
    if he's looking for the digital multifunction tach and speedo, oil tank, new key switch/buzzer, all other rigging. let me know. I bought an optimax so everything is going... except the battery cable.
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

7. Member
    I have had an Ox66 250 that I ran for 13 years without any trouble from the engine other than the O2 sensor. A dirty O2 sensor will make them run rough but can be cleaned. The down side is the awful gas consumption. It was a thirsty beast. I now have a 250 HPDI that I have had for three years, I keep it serviced and so far have had no trouble. It burns much less gasoline. Both seemed to like oil. Time will tell about the reliability. It had 650 hours when I bought the boat but had been serviced regularly.

8. Member
    Best outboard ever made i had 2.