Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Northrop actually employees people. How many people do the other recipients you mentioned employee? Buy Northrop stock and benefit, too.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    Northrop actually employees people. How many people do the other recipients you mentioned employee? Buy Northrop stock and benefit, too.

I gonna take a wild guess and say that the college educated employ many more people than the uneducated. Probably the vast majority of Northrop employees are college educated.

And good point on Northrop stock. Have to remember that on the next "gas prices are too high" thread.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    I'd like to receive a reimbursement for the hundreds of thousands I've paid BASS University the past 50 years for my how to catch little green fishes degree

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    It's okay to send ungodly amounts of money to companies like Northrop Grumman, or money to Israel, or the other foreign nations. It's okay to send money to banks, unions, auto companies, airlines, the list goes on and on. But it chaps our ass if we spend money on student loans, welfare, healthcare and other social programs...........except social security and medicare. The old guys in the lounge are okay with those social programs
    When we give foreign aid to another country, we don’t just write them a check so they can spend it wherever and on whatever they want. Instead, we give them credits to buy particular US goods. These goods are often agricultural products because the farmers lobby has influenced Congress so that they can sell more of their products. If it’s not agricultural products, it’s the munitions industry or other businesses who have lobbied to Congress to help them sell their goods abroad.

I’m one of the old guys here at 70 years old. I collect Social Security and am on Medicare. But, I’m not OK with those programs. Both programs should never, ever have been enacted. SS was a rip off from the beginning. It’s an antiquated idea from 19th Century Germany. There are countless other ways to be certain that workers save at least a minimal amount for retirement without the government being involved. Of course, that would mean that the government wouldn’t control that money and dole it out as a reward. Just as with their involvement in college student loans, government involvement in medicine has increased medical costs astronomically. Medicare is one of the programs that has had has this effect. Many of these social programs were enacted with the best of intentions. But, they have not only often produced the opposite effect that they were intended to have, but in the process generated a dependent class of people beholding to the government bureaucrats who dole out the benefits.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    It's okay to send ungodly amounts of money to companies like Northrop Grumman, or money to Israel, or the other foreign nations. It's okay to send money to banks, unions, auto companies, airlines, the list goes on and on. But it chaps our ass if we spend money on student loans, welfare, healthcare and other social programs...........except social security and medicare. The old guys in the lounge are okay with those social programs
    Finally some one gets my point.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

6. Member
    The mindset demonstrated by those who do not want to repay student loans is in start contrast to people living fifty or more years ago.

I will use myself as an example: My wife and I were a young married couple living in an apartment and had our first child. We wanted our own home but did not have enough cash on hand for the down payment to keep our mortgage payments within our budget. My dad offered to loan us a few thousand dollars at zero interest. We had our home built and moved in and then the stork came calling again. This was before the tax credits for daycare. After deliberating we decided that my wife would stay home and take care of our children and I would get a second job to help compensate for the loss of the income. I started saving some of my extra income to repay my dad. Dad saw the extra hours I was working and graciously offered to forgive the loan. I thanked him and told him I accepted the loan in good faith and could not look at myself in the mirror if I did not repay him. I kept saving and when I could hand him the full amount I repaid him. He offered again to forgive the loan and I said " a deal is a deal. Thank you for being there when I needed help". I think my dad knew I had become a man that day.

I have to believe my sons would do the same thing.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Buying favor, pure and simple. With our money. Yet another example of why constitutional amendments for term limits and a balanced budget are all the more critical going forward. Are they going to cut other benefits (read SS and Medicare) to pay for this, or just print more money?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Our country would have been way better off if the Fed government would have stayed out of the student loan business.
    This…….

The cost of higher education would not be nearly as high if the government hadn’t made it so easy to borrow for college.
    Most people straight out of high school have the maturity to understand what they’re getting into. Combine that with college recruiters who as aggressive as used car salesmen is a recipe for disaster.

9. Member
    I was taught "The world meets no one half way, if you want it you must go get it" in lamens terms " Nothing is free in this world! Seems this mentality is not there any more. Seems alot think they are owed something just because!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

10. Member
    It's not ok to give companies, banks, countries, etc our tax dollars. To say we all are good with that is ignorant. And likewise, to bail out idiots who took out a loan for education and now expect a handout is despicable. But young communists are ok with it.

I was REQUIRED to pay into SS and Medicare through all my years of work, so hell yes I want my money back. Completely different from giving my money to others.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

12. Member
    It’s like lottery winners that are broke in a couple years, it’s not that someone gets free money it’s that they are not smart enough to not repeat the same thing

13. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I was REQUIRED to pay into SS and Medicare through all my years of work, so hell yes I want my money back. Completely different from giving my money to others.

And I would agree with you, give you back all that you put in and nothing more. Use only your contributions to fund your retirement and healthcare costs. Don't use what a younger worker pays in. And when you run out of money you'll be asking the gov't for help. You'll be asking for taxpayers to fund your expenses. They're pyramid schemes and only remain solvent by the gov't taking money from the working taxpayer and giving it to the retiree. Taking money from others to give to you.
    Thanos was the hero

14. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabove View Post
    It's not ok to give companies, banks, countries, etc our tax dollars. To say we all are good with that is ignorant. And likewise, to bail out idiots who took out a loan for education and now expect a handout is despicable. But young communists are ok with it.

I'm not a commie and I'm not that young. I simply say, if we can borrow trillions from the future to be wasted on all sorts of spending, why not waste it on the taxpayer. Education is also probably one of the greatest returns on investment for anyone and any gov't. It would be money thats not wasted.
    Thanos was the hero

15. triton
    Right on ..... its your money you paid it from the time you started working, its not free money ....

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

And I would agree with you, give you back all that you put in and nothing more. Use only your contributions to fund your retirement and healthcare costs. Don't use what a younger worker pays in. And when you run out of money you'll be asking the gov't for help. You'll be asking for taxpayers to fund your expenses. They're pyramid schemes and only remain solvent by the gov't taking money from the working taxpayer and giving it to the retiree. Taking money from others to give to you.
    Then just by inflation, it would be a LOSS for me for them to hold my money and then give it back to me some years later! Yes that was and is my biggest fear that while I was saving and investing, others were buying and traveling. So I feared that MY money would be given to those that would not manager their money. Same as paying for a LOAN that others have taken out...School loan for Art History?????
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

lounge are okay with those social programs
    Well we paid for SS, and so did our employers, so yeah Iam ok with it. Last I checked, SS is still in the black. I'd be fine with some sort of govt. backed student tuition fund paid for by taxpayers with an employee match. But good luck getting something like that through congress. I'll never support tuition forgiveness for those who knowingly and voluntarily took out a loan. And bringing up other evils of spending does not justify another. In effect you've shown that student loan forgiveness is another evil, but yet you apparently are for it.

18. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Then just by inflation, it would be a LOSS for me for them to hold my money and then give it back to me some years later! Yes that was and is my biggest fear that while I was saving and investing, others were buying and traveling. So I feared that MY money would be given to those that would not manager their money. Same as paying for a LOAN that others have taken out...School loan for Art History?????

It's not your money though. You will receive more money back than you put in, god willing you live long enough. If you have a serious medical issue you'll get back way more than you put in. Your money is already gonna be spent on you.

Student loan money would be borrowed from future taxpayers, the same future taxpayers who are in this debt. They would be paying themselves back. College educated pay more in taxes than non college educated. Sure we end up with some art history majors, but we also end up with doctors and nurses who aren't stressed about paying back a few $100K in debt. I would prefer my doctors be less stressed.
    Thanos was the hero

So, we were forced to contribute money but are not entitled to earn any interest on it over the years…far less interest than we would have accumulated had the money been invested privately? Nope.

One thing we agree on…they are both Pyramid schemes that will collapse without continually being propped up by government. They should never been enacted in the first place and method must be devised to work our way out of them so that younger generations are not victimized by them as we have been.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. Member
    Some of you should go check out the history of social security.

Let's say the person earns an average of 60,000 a year for 30 years. That would leave about 9,000 a year going into a SS fund, that fund should be drawing interest! 9,000 over the 30 years is 270,000 PLUS interest invested. Interest on 270,000 over 30 years should be a considerable amount! The person turns 62 and decides to draw 1200.00 a month or 14,400 a year early. They can draw for almost 19 years or about 81 years old before the initial investment is gone. All this is without the zero interest drawn over 49 years.

I have been working since I was 14 years old. Me and my employer were BOTH required to pay into SS. I have no shame for drawing my first SS retirement check in June.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/briefhis...r%20retirement.

I am sure if I have this concept wrong someone will correct.

How you are tying a mandated contributory policy to a student loan is beyond me?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast