Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    This is nothing more than a vote buying scheme.
    Just like the open borders!!
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASSBUZZ View Post
    I'm right there with you. Pay your bills!

Don't get me started.. My son is graduating from BSU this Saturday. I paid for everything just so he could start his life NOT in debt.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin_7 View Post
    I do not understand the political mindset that thinks those that actually fund the country shouldn't receive the most benefit from fiscal policy legislation. Again, vote buying is the only logical explanation. We, the productive, are stupid. We let our government confiscate the fruits of our labor to buy the votes of those that contribute the least.

"From each according to their ability to each according to their need." Where have I heard that?

5. Member
    “A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”

― Alexander Fraser Tytler

6. Member
    Serious question(s)... How does this work if I take out a student loan today for 100K? Forgiven? Or how does it work for future student loans. Is college free now? I think I agree with the vote buying agenda as I see no real economic benefit. The people paying the loans back will have a little pocket money each month. The ones not paying the loans back will be in the same position as they are now minus the "obligation".

Reminds me how most laws affect the law abiding people only. The criminals don't care about records, or fines they won't pay, or just sleeping at the jail a few nights until they are released. Only the law abiding people are affected.

7. Member
    Forgiving student loan debt is just another example of how the federal government rewards unresponsible behavior.

To be clear, I am not stating all student loan borrowers are not responsible. However there are thousands of students who worked while going to college, or parents who did not spend all their income and saved their income so they would pay for college expenses for their kids. Forgiving student loan debts just insults responsible behavior for those who paid for their college expenses.

Forgiving student loans makes about as much sense as 90% of the other stupid stuff that government does. If it happens, it will be the greatest transfer of wealth from the "Have Nots" to the 'Haves" in US history. Where are the poor and working class protesting that the government is handing out free money to the middle and upper class from the taxes they have paid? Where is the party that always claims to defend the poor...oh, yeah, they're the ones taxing the poor and working class to hand out free money to the middle and upper class! Forgiving student loans is an abomination and an abuse of government power.

However, I will vigorously disagree with many of you that general education requirements are useless and that a career education should be the sole focus of higher education. First, many of the "useless" general education courses that students take in college turn out to be pretty valuable for many, even though they couldn't see it at the time. For example, those two required courses in Spanish turn out to be pretty valuable to an accountant when they get hired by a firm who does business around the world or when one of their clients is a company owned by a Spanish speaking owner. While the accountant may not be fluent in Spanish a few years later, they may know enough to show their client that they respect their culture and land an account because of that. In a global economy, it pays to know a second language and have an understanding of history in various parts of the world. Second, most people will change jobs several times over their career and often end up working in a field far different than their college major. One thing that a broad education teaches you how different disciplines think, reason, obtain and use evidence. As a business major, you might never use much of the information from the Psychology or Sociology course that you took. But, when your marketing team comes to you with what you think is a strange a plan to increase sales, you should recall enough from those courses to make them do a quasi-experiment or at least construct a valid and reliable survey with part of your client base to see if the proposed marketing plan produces the intended results before going national with it. Apparently New Coke could have benefited from this! Finally, a broad education teaches you to think and learn beyond just teaching your specific skills within your major. What are you going do if your career becomes obsolete or earns far less in the future than it does now? At one point in time, businesses were paying big money for key punch operators. Many high school grads signed up at local two year colleges for their courses and were given multiple big money job offers when they graduated. A few years later, with the advent of CRT monitors, a person trained as a key punch operator could only ask if you want fries with that. Many (most) businesses want someone who has a solid grounding in basic skills of their field, but more importantly can think and learn. A broad education provides that ability to think and learn on your own, whereas a specific skill based education does not.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    At a time when personal responsibility is lower than probably at any time in history,this loan forgiveness movement could not be more wrong. It will re-enforce the notion that some people have that they are not responsible. Like most of you,I’m sure,I’ve repaid every dollar I ever borrowed and it never occurred to me that I shouldn’t have to pay it back. This is a monumental mistake and it irritates me no end.
    While we are talking about "free money", do the people that got "pandemic hand outs " (both Canada and U.S.) have to pay the tax on those funds, think about all the people that have payed their debts, loans, taxes and received no hand outs during the pandemic, in additon to working through it, how would they feel if this movement passes ?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by temp View Post
    Serious question(s)... How does this work if I take out a student loan today for 100K? Forgiven? Or how does it work for future student loans. Is college free now? I think I agree with the vote buying agenda as I see no real economic benefit. The people paying the loans back will have a little pocket money each month. The ones not paying the loans back will be in the same position as they are now minus the "obligation".

Reminds me how most laws affect the law abiding people only. The criminals don't care about records, or fines they won't pay, or just sleeping at the jail a few nights until they are released. Only the law abiding people are affected.
    I would think that the economic benefit, in theory, would be that the money that was being paid for the loan would stimulate the economy. I don't care either way but love the comments here.

Congratulations to the people that got their loans forgiven. Thoughts and prayers for the upset folks.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Are they going to cut other benefits (read SS and Medicare) to pay for this, or just print more money?
    Yes and yes.

Tom

12. Member
    So your upset. Life isn't fair.

The federal government has been handing out money for years. This isn't any different just for some reason this one offends more people. For example why do some people get tax breaks on cars and others don't. That wasn't fair to me. Why do others get energy credits on improvements to their homes? Wasn't fair to me I don't own a home.

To be frank no one I know would refuse free money. Personaly I stopped giving a crap and just worry about myself. In addition how many gave back their three TAX FREE covid payments? I'll start. I didn't need one penny but I accepted and kept it.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

13. Member
    I think the premise is simple. College educated folks make up a large percentage of the middle class. Those folks are no longer being able to contribute to the economy due to the huge burden that student loan debt is causing. The government caused this with the income based payment plans. They are not good and only leads you deeper in debt while you wait on a promised forgiveness in 20-25 years. Most of those who have made it are still not getting the forgiveness that was promised. So that falls on the federal government to fix now. The system is broke and needs changed. This is simply kicking the can down the road and will not have the intended results.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post

The federal government has been handing out money for years. This isn't any different just for some reason this one offends more people. For example why do some people get tax breaks on cars and others don't. That wasn't fair to me. Why do others get energy credits on improvements to their homes? Wasn't fair to me I don't own a home.

To be frank no one I know would refuse free money. Personaly I stopped giving a crap and just worry about myself. In addition how many gave back their three TAX FREE covid payments? I'll start. I didn't need one penny but I accepted and kept it.

Everyone on here makes too much money to have gotten the covid handouts.

15. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar

It wasn't free money. You paid taxes on that printed money when you filed your returns. It's okay if you're okay paying off someone else's debt. I'm not. And you're not just paying off someone's college tuition, you're paying off the interest on that borrowed money as well.

16. Member
    It wasn't free money. You paid taxes on that printed money when you filed your returns. It's okay if you're okay paying off someone else's debt. I'm not. And you're not just paying off someone's college tuition, you're paying off the interest on that borrowed money as well.
    Excellent point.

Very few people feel the hand taking more money out of their back pocket than they are receiving in their hand.

17. Member
    Of course it was free. You really think they will not increase taxes for something else. They take our tax money then name a building after themselves. I'm offened they don't name one after me. So yes the money I got was free. I'm still offended over the car thing and can't understand why no one else is. I just don't get the concern on student loans and not the other free things. I mean I paid full price for everything and never got a tax credit or free money. OK I did get three Covid payment but I'm not giving it back.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

18. Member
    Of course it was free. You really think they will not increase taxes for something else. They take our tax money then name a building after themselves. I'm offened they don't name one after me. So yes the money I got was free. I'm still offended over the car thing and can't understand why no one else is. I just don't get the concern on student loans and not the other free things. I mean I paid full price for everything and never got a tax credit or free money. OK I did get three Covid payment but I'm not giving it back.

19. Banned
    I know someone who’s mother had to pay a lump sum to the SSI so her son could draw a disability check.... although it wasn’t a large monthly check they have been drawing it for over 30 years.....

20. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I just don't get the concern on student loans and not the other free things.
    It's okay to send ungodly amounts of money to companies like Northrop Grumman, or money to Israel, or the other foreign nations. It's okay to send money to banks, unions, auto companies, airlines, the list goes on and on. But it chaps our ass if we spend money on student loans, welfare, healthcare and other social programs...........except social security and medicare. The old guys in the lounge are okay with those social programs
    Thanos was the hero

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast