Thread: Fishing line

Fishing line

Does anyone have issues with spooling up a baitcaster full of line and end up backlashing it enough that you waste pretty much the entire spool? I don’t seem to waste any line or have any problems with a reel that has minimal amount of line. Not sure if it’s the fluorocarbon line or not but I don’t like to waste the brand new line.

2. Member
    Reels with less line are easier to control but you don't cast as far.
    Last edited by Real L; 05-04-2022 at 06:41 PM.

3. Member
    Use line conditioner.

If you backlash it really hard, like send your lure into orbit hard, yep it's toast. Several things to minimize ruining spools with "lesser" backlashes though, the most obvious of which is simply not to do it...

Realizing that's not realistic, line conditioner can help make it more manageable for sure. I've noticed big differences in how well behaved fluoro is when I spray it down with KVD Line and Lure the night before a fishing trip. That's not only helpful for backlashing, but also in overall enjoyment on the water not fighting with a kinky mess.

Otherwise I think getting impatient when picking it out is the number 1 culprit in ruining spools. I'm not saying I've never ruined one--I have for sure--but I can also count them on one hand. I'm not a great caster by any stretch either. From fishing with other guys who've blown then up, it seems it's really common to just yank to pull the backlash out. While that might work most of the time with braid, that's going to kink and/or knot mono or fluoro, and with fluoro especially, you might as well just keep yanking it off the spool. The name of the game is gentle. If it sticks while you're pulling it out, spin the spool back the other why to see why it stuck. Address that problem and go back to pulling it out. At the end, you might be surprised at just what you can save.

Another idea is to try braid-to-leader...if you can stomach it. Braid doesn't have that problem unless you legitimately knot it up, and though it may be more expensive by the yard (in some cases anyhow), I've had spools of braid last 3-4 years. That becomes economical quickly!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Spool speed changes with diameter, ie a smaller diameter less filled spool is spinning faster so it’s more affected by centrifugal and magnetic brakes. The lesser loaded spool also has less momentum. I tend to loosen my brakes as the spool gets low on line to get more distance, then when I freshly load it back up have similar issues, if I forget to readjust the brakes. Remembering to tighten the brakes is the key! I would rather start with too much braking and loosen during the first couple casts of the day. I prefer centrifugal brakes over magnetic, and usually tend to set half the centrifugal brakes to “on” and do the rest of the adjustment with the tension knob. On a windy day I might turn on one more brake, and on a calm day offshore I might turn one off to get more distance, but usually half of them on is the sweet spot for my meager level of skill.

6. Member
    I am a big believer in the KVD line conditioner for my fluorocarbon. I also think that stretching the fluoro line makes a big improvement. I have a tie off spot in the yard, connect my line to it, walk off until I am well beyond my longest cast distance then tension / stretch the line for a bit. Walk back to the tie off and spray down with the KVD conditioner.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

7. Member
    That's one reason why I went to braid with/without leader on almost everything except cranks. Just back off the drag a little and you are good. If I feel the water is clear enough then I just go longer on the leader. I will close with it is possible to blow up a reel with braid but if you can get it out, back to fishing with no worries.

There's a good way to get out a backlash, and multiple videos on YT showing how. I picked this one to link. It works and it's a very short video. Of course, adjusting your reel correctly is the easiest way to avoid backlashing...and all reels aren't equally user friendly.

Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

9. Member
    Leave the line level down about an 1/8" when spooling up too.

10. Member
    First don't fill it all the way up. Second carry a plastic comb to pick the loops out. Third don't try to get the last yard on your cast.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    There's a good way to get out a backlash, and multiple videos on YT showing how. I picked this one to link. It works and it's a very short video. Of course, adjusting your reel correctly is the easiest way to avoid backlashing...and all reels aren't equally user friendly.

I agree this gets backlashes out, but I would only recommend doing this with braid. If you put this much pressure on twisted fluorocarbon, you create small fractures in the line. Sure, you eventually get the line straightened out, but later on break offs occur too often in my experience. I've found better to pick them out gradually as Drew described above:

"Otherwise I think getting impatient when picking it out is the number 1 culprit in ruining spools. I'm not saying I've never ruined one--I have for sure--but I can also count them on one hand. I'm not a great caster by any stretch either. From fishing with other guys who've blown then up, it seems it's really common to just yank to pull the backlash out. While that might work most of the time with braid, that's going to kink and/or knot mono or fluoro, and with fluoro especially, you might as well just keep yanking it off the spool. The name of the game is gentle. If it sticks while you're pulling it out, spin the spool back the other why to see why it stuck. Address that problem and go back to pulling it out. At the end, you might be surprised at just what you can save."