Thread: 250xb questions

250xb questions

0T652622
    just want to make sure I have all of my facts right there is a lot of info out there on these.
    oil—-premium plus 2 stroke mercury or quicksilver “is there a difference?”
    fuel—- 91 or 93 octane “generally can only get 91 where I live “ethanol free if possible” if not is there an additive “mercury fuel additives I’m assuming” every tank every other how often in general with fuel additives.
    impeller once a year or every 100 hours.
    how often should the plugs/lower unit oil be changed.
    engine has 95 hours and 120-125psi across the board so I’d like to keep it happy as long as possible any other suggestions for regular maintenance are welcomed.

2. Member
    no MERC additives raise octane levels ,recomended additives in FAQ with all fuel , service lower same time w/p and plugs are changed , yearly or 100 hrs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Also needs injectors cleaned every couple hundred hrs. You must relearn this term: its not miles per gallon, it's gallons per mile.....same w oil but damn its fast��

4. Member
    ^^^^ exactly
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Thirsty motor but yes they move out & sound awesome. Enjoy.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    no MERC additives raise octane levels ,recomended additives in FAQ with all fuel , service lower same time w/p and plugs are changed , yearly or 100 hrs
    Should have been more specific I know it won’t add octane was asking if I can’t get ethanol free fuel.

7. Member
    Note the order of priority for fuel selection taken from this FAQ topic - Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Fuel Selection:

Make your fuel selections based on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-High Traffic, Top-Tier (Name Brand) Fuel
    -Appropriate Octane Rating (see above info)
    -Lowest possible ethanol content (NEVER to exceed 10%).
    -While it may be preferable to utilize a fuel that contains lower (or no) ethanol, use of fuels that are SUBSTANTIALLY higher octane can result in decreased performance, decreased fuel economy, and potential for carbon buildup. Higher octane fuels burn SLOWER and COOLER.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^ Good info above.

That engine requires a MINIMUM of 91 octane- never, ever use anything lower, for any reason, whatsoever.

That engine will want to pass anything on the water (except for a fuel tanker or fuel dock).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    ^^^^ Good info above.

That engine requires a MINIMUM of 91 octane- never, ever use anything lower, for any reason, whatsoever.

That engine will want to pass anything on the water (except for a fuel tanker or fuel dock).
    ran the engine over the weekend and man does it run. Mildly concerned about the idle though seems rough and “sneezes” quite a bit took a video but I’m not sure how to post it. Says that the file is invalid

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You'll have to host the video off-site and provide a link (something like the "tube" would work).

Sneezing is an indication of a lean condition, so I would not continue running the engine that way. Check bleed lines fuel lines, linkage synchronization, temp sensors, and TPS adjustment.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Finally got a few minutes of free time and pulled the plugs on the xb. Pictures down below.D7F8910F-2914-4310-B84B-4169E16407A6.jpeg 2.png4E54090F-5D58-4273-9D27-2FDC29703EF8.jpeg.png
    Last edited by soloman; 05-21-2022 at 09:44 PM.

12. Member
    Looking at those I would put some new ones in it. Not even because of the color but the wear on them.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoken86 View Post
    Looking at those I would put some new ones in it. Not even because of the color but the wear on them.
    Already ordered a new set.

14. Member
    Wanted to update this. I ended up having two broken reeds and I adjusted the tps. Also had the injectors cleaned runs great now!

Yeah they sing a good tune!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    Wanted to update this. I ended up having two broken reeds and I adjusted the tps. Also had the injectors cleaned runs great now!
    good set of reeds always helps

17. Member
    Should put NGK plugs in it, wish I still had mine

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    Why?

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    QL77CC is the only correct spark plug for this engine model (Champion).