Thread: How to????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to????

Would somebody who is not Catholic explain how a Protestant confesses their sins? Not getting into particulars but how do you go about this act? (mechanics) Are their prayers? Frequency?

thanks

John
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

2. Member
    Bow your head and say,Lord please forgive me of my sins. Thank you for doing so,in Jesus name I pray. Amen. No other repetition.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    Would somebody who is not Catholic explain how a Protestant confesses their sins? Not getting into particulars but how do you go about this act? (mechanics) Are their prayers? Frequency?

thanks

John
    Give yourself up to the police voluntarily?

4. Member
    Lord I confess my sins to you and repent of them. Please forgive me. In Jesus name I
    pray.Amen.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’
    Luke 18:13 (NKJV)

Seems a good start to me. "Forgive me Lord, for I am a sinner."

How often? Every day, several times a day. *

That and THANK YOU LORD! THANK YOU JESUS!

Can't say "Thank you" too often.

* Edited to add: This is not a requirement. God doesn't ask us to run to him with every little thing we do "wrong" and ask for firgiveness. We did that when we accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. It is our guilt that makes us run to him and ask for forgiveness over and over again. The devil will try to steal our joy from us, to weaken our witness, by reminding us of some sin we committed yesterday, today, or tomorrow. "Did God REALLY forgive you for that? REALLY?"

Well, Yes, he did. Really. Jesus paid the price for our sins, past, present, future on the cross, once and for all. Praise Jesus! Praise God!

Jesus paid it all.
    All to Him I owe.
    Sin has left a crimson stain.
    He washed it white as snoww
    Last edited by CajunBass; 05-05-2022 at 05:08 AM.

6. Member

thanks

John
    Great question! 1 john 1:9 9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    Who do we pray to?
    1 timothy 2
    5For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,

Frequency?
    Hebrews 7
    26For such a High Priest was fitting for us,
    who is holy, [I]harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens; 27who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people’s, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

No priests, except our High Priest Jesus, are needed. No frequency. Jesus just calls all men to repent. Love to hear your thoughts

2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member

thanks

John
    John,
    There is no 'acts of contrition' when you ask God and Christ for forgiveness, since no such requirement was instated by Jesus, which I am sure is what you are looking for when asking for acts or prayer routines embodied by the catholic tradition.
    When I ask the Lord for forgiveness, I make sure that my supplication is a repentance for sin that is motivated by faith and the love of God, which can be expressed in various forms.
    One must remember that God has omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence, so it would be futile for not being completely open and honest in your earnest repentance.

8. Member
    Sorry for this long cut and paste, but it is the main time Jesus shows us how to pray
    Matthew 6: 5“And when you pray, you shall not be like the [b]hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.6But you, when you pray,go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you[c]openly.7And when you pray,do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do.For they think that they will be heard for their many words.
    8“Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. 9In this manner, therefore, pray:Our Father in heaven,
    Hallowed be Your name.
    10Your kingdom come.
    Your will be done
    On earth as it is in heaven.
    11Give us this day our daily bread.
    12And forgive us our debts,
    As we forgive our debtors.
    13And do not lead us into temptation,
    But deliver us from the evil one.
    [d]For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

14“For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    John,
    There is no 'acts of contrition' when you ask God and Christ for forgiveness, since no such requirement was instated by Jesus, which I am sure is what you are looking for when asking for acts or prayer routines embodied by the catholic tradition.
    When I ask the Lord for forgiveness, I make sure that my supplication is a repentance for sin that is motivated by faith and the love of God, which can be expressed in various forms.
    One must remember that God has omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence, so it would be futile for not being completely open and honest in your earnest repentance.
    Quite possibly your getting the "act of contrition" confused with your repentance.

Some call it a prayer....don't you, in your mind, when confessing to the Lord "talk" to him. For example....the Catholic rendition of the "act of contrition" is simple.

Lord Jesus, forgive me for I am a sinner.

Are you telling me THAT group of words doesn't conform or adhere to something a Christian would say to the Lord?

10. Member
    Quite possibly your getting the "act of contrition" confused with your repentance.

Lord Jesus, forgive me for I am a sinner. Interestingly similar to what Jesus tells in the pharisees and publican prayed.

Are you telling me THAT group of words doesn't conform or adhere to something a Christian would say to the Lord?
    Sorry, you are correct about having confused the two.

Act of contrition
    My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things.
    I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.
    Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy.

Doing penance
    Acts of sorrow over one's sins (penances) are ways in which this is done as reparation for an offense or injury. ('atonement' which this is what Christ did for us for all times.)
    However, tradition tries to justify as when God remits the eternal penalty for a sin, He may choose to leave a temporal penalty to be dealt with. He forgave David for his sin concerning Uriah, yet, the temporal punishment of having his infant son die and having the sword pass through his house (2 Sam. 12:13). Similarly; When Moses struck the rock a second time God forgave him, though he still suffered the temporal penalty of not being allowed to go into the promised land (Num. 20:12).
    Finally, physical death itself is a temporal penalty that is our due because of original sin, and it is a penalty which remains even when our sins are forgiven by Christ. (this is somewhat an offence against Christ's Passion)

You quoted an Act of Contrition...there are several "prayers" that Catholics label as an "Act of Contrition".

Was taught this one when I a child:

Act of Contrition

O my God,
    I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee,
    and I detest all my sins,
    because I dread the loss of heaven, and the pains of hell;
    but most of all because they offend Thee, my God,
    Who are all good and deserving of all my love.
    I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace,
    to confess my sins, to do penance,
    and to amend my life.

Amen.

Long, short or make up your own...its whats in your heart, your desire to repent and change is whats important. Whether it be with a priest or between you and Jesus.....he will know how sincere you are.

No repetition of prayers when you go to confession. I will always tell the priest how long its been since my last confession. Weeks, months or whatever. When a person is done they will say "I am sorry for all my sins". By saying that you are letting the priest know that you are done and he may, if he choses, give you words of encouragement and a penance. The last time I went to confession my penance was to pray a prayer. The sacrament of Penance concludes with the priest giving you absolution.
    Last edited by drifter106; 05-06-2022 at 07:24 PM.

12. Member
    Is absolution the same as forgiveness? I honestly do not know having never being taught information about the Catholic faith.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Is absolution the same as forgiveness? I honestly do not know having never being taught information about the Catholic faith.
    In a nutshell, yes, though, one puts the emphasis on what a priest says, and one puts it on what Jesus thought when asking you to understand the parable of the pharisee and the publican.

The priestly confession still bares its roots to the atonement made by the Jews when Jesus would heal anyone and would say to them to go show it to the priest bringing whatever was prescribed. However, if you take the time to dissect the intent of Jesus, you understand His intent of being to show the religious leaders of the day Christ was among them by showing them a sign.

14. Member
    You quoted an Act of Contrition

Long, short or make up your own...its what's in your heart, your desire to repent and change is what's important. Whether it be with a priest or between you and Jesus.....he will know how sincere you are.

No repetition of prayers when you go to confession. I will always tell the priest how long its been since my last confession. Weeks, months or whatever. When a person is done they will say "I am sorry for all my sins". By saying that you are letting the priest know that you are done and he may, if he choses, give you words of encouragement and a penance. The last time I went to confession my penance was to pray a prayer. The sacrament of Penance concludes with the priest giving you absolution.
    Though in your statement, you have nailed the truth, as I have highlighted in bold, yet, you seem to revert to your innate traditional teachings of needing a priest, a man no different than you or I in the eyes of God, to chose words and penance for what you can easily do in your heart when repenting and changing that which you have acknowledged to God as your offence.
    Perhaps, I may be stating the matter in what may seem to you as simplistic, yet, that is what Jesus wishes for all of us to see.

While we were doing our ministry at the State Fair, I was asked if I believed whether Catholics are considered Christians and are saved, to which I replies a firm 'Yes', and described to the person that in my opinion I look at it as a person trying to get to the South pole by heading North making the journey longer with the same outcome due to the traditions and requirements. This was not meant in provocation, but the person walked away without any reply.

Though in your statement, you have nailed the truth, as I have highlighted in bold, yet, you seem to revert to your innate traditional teachings of needing a priest, a man no different than you or I in the eyes of God, to chose words and penance for what you can easily do in your heart when repenting and changing that which you have acknowledged to God as your offence.
    Perhaps, I may be stating the matter in what may seem to you as simplistic, yet, that is what Jesus wishes for all of us to see.

While we were doing our ministry at the State Fair, I was asked if I believed whether Catholics are considered Christians and are saved, to which I replies a firm 'Yes', and described to the person that in my opinion I look at it as a person trying to get to the South pole by heading North making the journey longer with the same outcome due to the traditions and requirements. This was not meant in provocation, but the person walked away without any reply.
    Put the shoe on the other foot...

16. Member
    Hey drifter, 1. are you finding support for needing a rcc priest in scripture or rcc traditions and documents? 2. Could you confess to other christians since they are "priests" according to the Bible?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mram10us View Post
    'other christians since they are "priests" according to the Bible?'
    I must have missed this part. Help, please. Thank you

18. Member
    Missing your point bro, little more clarity. Thank you John

19. Member
    I must have missed this part. Help, please. Thank you
    I am not Mram ( Mike) but believe that 1 Peter 2: verses 5 & 9 refer to believers as priests. Also found in Rev. 1:6.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I am not Mram ( Mike) but believe that 1 Peter 2: verses 5 & 9 refer to believers as priests. Also found in Rev. 1:6.
    Holeshot,

When reading the entire chapter, I perceive the matter of the first to be in reference to the Hebrews, and the latter, John is addressing the seven churches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast