Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Bassboat layout vs multi species layout. Looking for a different boat.

I have a 20' aluminum rig now with a traditional bassboat layout. Single console, bucket seats with an adequate (somewhat lacking) amount of storage. I am finding myself mostly chasing other species these days and rarely ever target bass. We catfish a lot, panfish and I am wanting to get into walleye fishing as well. Then swimming and etc during the summer and the layout of my boat is not ideal for most of those. Mostly the issue I have is storage for gear other than fishing tackle (coolers, clothing, towels, etc) and fishing room in the back of the boat while catfishing. I am thinking about going to a multi species type of boat like an Alumacraft Competitor/Trophy or a Lund (although they are very rare in my area). I have also looked at the Sea Ark Easy/Big Easy and really like that layout as well which is a hybrid of a bassboat and a leisure type boat. Have any of you made this switch? I have never been in a deep v multi species boat so I am concerned with the higher sides and smaller front deck. I do like the idea of a larger windshield as I like to fish in the fall/winter.

2. Member
    I have an Alumacraft Competitor 175 and love it for bass fishing. Despite being a "Deep V" the gunwales are much lower than most Deep V's which makes it better for bass fishing, and it also catches less wind. I also jigged the Detroit River for walleye last Friday, which is probably more of what it is designed for. It could easily be set up for trolling or other fishing tactics. I would like to have a bigger model, but the 175 is all I could fit in my garage. Take a good look at them, as Alumacraft makes a solid boat.

3. Member
    I went with a CC this go around and honestly dont ever see myself going back to a side console.

4. Member
    You might look at a center console something along the line of a tracker grizzly are even a sea ark 2072fxjt those center consoles are great to fish out of for most species
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

For all the activities you mentioned the number one boat would be the Big Easy
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Moderator
    I do like the idea of a center console as well. I have been in a few and it does free up some space.

7. Member
    Also check out a Lund Tyee. Tons of storage, sport top snaps to the windshield and has a walkway section that snaps in between the consoles as well to block wind and rain. Snap out carpet, removable bow cushions, ski pole, nice deep boarding ladder, rear livewell, bow baitwell, in floor and gunnel lockable rod storage.
    2022 Lund Tyee 1875, Merc 200

8. Member
    If your willing to look at a glass boat take a peak at the skeeter wx1910. I mostly bass fish but almost pulled the trigger on one as a more family friendly boat that would accommodate a cable steer TM and ability to lay rods out on the front deck.

9. Member
    Lund Pro V bass has stupid amount of room and is kind of a hybrid and also has a open cockpit layout if you get that option.

10. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBoater View Post
    Also check out a Lund Tyee. Tons of storage, sport top snaps to the windshield and has a walkway section that snaps in between the consoles as well to block wind and rain. Snap out carpet, removable bow cushions, ski pole, nice deep boarding ladder, rear livewell, bow baitwell, in floor and gunnel lockable rod storage.
    I have looked at this boat and do like it. The issue is there are very few Lunds around here and very few dealers.

11. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    If your willing to look at a glass boat take a peak at the skeeter wx1910. I mostly bass fish but almost pulled the trigger on one as a more family friendly boat that would accommodate a cable steer TM and ability to lay rods out on the front deck.
    I am not against it. I have never heard about this boat before.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I have looked at this boat and do like it. The issue is there are very few Lunds around here and very few dealers.
    I had the same issue. Though I have a couple of Lund dealers nearby, they don’t sell many Tyees. I found mine at a dealership 7hrs away in Wisconsin at Mr Outboards Watersports. The other big Lund dealers are Bees Sports and Waconda Boats.
    2022 Lund Tyee 1875, Merc 200

My biggest pet peeve about multi species boats is the short front deck and not being able to lay rods flat. There are some boats now that have a small cutout from the front deck to the consoles to allow longer rods to be laid flat which helps. Recon is a brand that does this.

Frankly overall, I cannot stand fishing from a small front deck.

If I were to buy a "multi species boat" right now it would be a Lund 1875 or 2075 pro v bass with the pedestal seats.

14. Member
    Lund Pro V bass XS is the boat I think you are wanting. Its a dual console game without a windshield though. Great layout, open cockpit for coolers and other gear, easy to stand in and jig etc. Huge front deck and tons of storage compartments. It will be my next boat.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

15. Member
    The following are great family fishing boats:

Lund pro v bass
    Crestliner Bass Hawk
    Lund Renegade

16. Member
    I have owned a Crestliner fishawk 1850 for the last 20 years. In my wife's and my opinion it's a great multi species boat. We fish for everything from bluegill with fly rods to musky. We can either both fish from the front deck or the back deck easily. I carry 12 combo's in lockable storage, and can have another 5-6 on the front deck. Our rods are up to 9' all can fit in easily.

17. Member
    We have a Lund Impact 1775 full window. Great platform overall. I lay my rods on the front deck and no problems. They stick out the side a bit but its fine. Pretty low to the water, good size front deck, HUGE back deck that flips up and has two more seats that the kids use. Often fish on the back deck when its windy and the TM is on spot lock.
    Has a 115 4 stroke and run 40 at 5K elevation. Pretty dry ride and love the full window.

Tyee is a wide gunnel boat that sits way higher than the impact or Alumacraft competitor. Lund impact 2025 and Alumacraft competitor would be my two favorites if you are looking at boats in the 20' range.

18. Member
    I had a 1875 Lund impact with the full windshield I had it for 7 years. I had a bass boat before the Lund I couldn’t wait to get out of that Lund it blew around so bad because it sits so high out of the water and it’s was lighter and the windshield was like a parachute. It was awesome in rough water and on calm days.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

19. Member
    I never really cared what type of boat I had. Only requirement was that it floated. I bass fished out of cedar boats, muskie fished out of bass boats, chased smallies out of a ski boat.

My point get what you want. Trust me you will quickly adapt to a new or different style of boat. For all around fishing I like a bass boat. ERIE or bigger lakes a much larger v hull, when I get older and drink more I need one with high sides that never goes out of the backyard.

I agree about the Lund style boat. Hate the high sides and light weight. Mine was a Slyvan 17 foot and I dreaded every trip on the water. A plus though I could lay down and get out of the wind.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    I had a 1875 Lund impact with the full windshield I had it for 7 years. I had a bass boat before the Lund I couldn’t wait to get out of that Lund it blew around so bad because it sits so high out of the water and it’s was lighter and the windshield was like a parachute. It was awesome in rough water and on calm days.
    Needed spot lock. These new motors sure take care of that problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast