Champion Gelcoat Question

I am not getting any insight from the restoration forum, maybe someone here can help. I purchased this boat last year, the P/O said there was a repair done by the owner before him. The edges of the repair can be seen above the front wheel. It appears as though there was a simple stress crack in the gelcoat. The crack does not go through to the inside, there is no evidence of damage/repair through to the inside and it does not leak.

All of the flake matches, so I don't think there was anything significant repaired other than them re-spraying clear gel over the effected area in order to try to asthetically hide it. The problem is, the gel they sprayed has turned cloudy. Also they did a poor job feathering it in.

My question is, should I just wet sand down the effected area and buff? Or is the hazyness likely a result of an improperly mixed gelcoat and the hazyness is there to stay? This is purely cosmetic, but it does drive me nuts.....
    boat .jpg
    2006 Ranger Z-20
    2006 Mercury Optimax ProXS 225

2. Member
    pro tec makes a kit that really works good. ProTec Products - Home | Facebook

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swilkins614 View Post
    I am not getting any insight from the restoration forum, maybe someone here can help. I purchased this boat last year, the P/O said there was a repair done by the owner before him. The edges of the repair can be seen above the front wheel. It appears as though there was a simple stress crack in the gelcoat. The crack does not go through to the inside, there is no evidence of damage/repair through to the inside and it does not leak.

All of the flake matches, so I don't think there was anything significant repaired other than them re-spraying clear gel over the effected area in order to try to asthetically hide it. The problem is, the gel they sprayed has turned cloudy. Also they did a poor job feathering it in.

My question is, should I just wet sand down the effected area and buff? Or is the hazyness likely a result of an improperly mixed gelcoat and the hazyness is there to stay? This is purely cosmetic, but it does drive me nuts.....
    boat .jpg
    Wont hurt to do a light wet sand with like 800 or 100 and see what you get. Maybe you'll get lucky and the haziness is just on the surface. Does seem like they probably messed up on the clear gelcoat mix though and 1 used to much catalyst or 2 thinned with something they shouldn't have.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    Wont hurt to do a light wet sand with like 800 or 100 and see what you get. Maybe you'll get lucky and the haziness is just on the surface. Does seem like they probably messed up on the clear gelcoat mix though and 1 used to much catalyst or 2 thinned with something they shouldn't have.
    I think vafishing meant 1000 grit, not 100. Don't use 100!!
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I would run if by Matthew Snooks on FB. He owns Fractures Fiberglass in Mtn Home and worked in the plant back in the day. From what I've seen posted of his work, he's as good as there is and will give you good advice

6. Member
    Update, thank you all for the advise. Today I gently wet sanded one edge of the repair. Started with 800,1000,1500,2000,3000 finished with rubbing compound and polishing compound. It made a pretty significant difference. I think i need to go at it again but focus on the new sprayed area as not to go too deep in the original gel coat. I suspect the new gel needs to be almost completely taken off…FD8D7A69-892B-498A-BEB7-6A1884757F87.jpegCE2F2DD0-EE8A-4101-B8F6-BC613659B42D.jpeg
    2006 Ranger Z-20

7. Banned
    Be careful you don't go too far and get into the flake..

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    Be careful you don't go too far and get into the flake..
    Thank you, I only sanding a very small amount for each grade of paper. After walking away and looking at it again later, i think i can live with the way it turned out. Now I just need to do the other edge. Maybe a little in the middle of the repair.
    2006 Ranger Z-20

9. Banned
    If the area feels smooth to the touch. 1200-2000 grit should get the haze out. To be safe, I would stay away from the 800.. Do a small test spot and use a lot of water with a few drops of Dawn dish washing detergent in it to help keep the paper clean.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 196 elite View Post
    I think vafishing meant 1000 grit, not 100. Don't use 100!!
    Yes definitely not 100. 800 or higher. Thanks for catching that

11. Member
    If the area feels smooth to the touch. 1200-2000 grit should get the haze out. To be safe, I would stay away from the 800.. Do a small test spot and use a lot of water with a few drops of Dawn dish washing detergent in it to help keep the paper clean.
    There is definitely a raised edge, you can really only feel it with a finger nail. I need to invest in a DA polisher. Hand buffing out that 1'x1' area was actually alot of work!
    2006 Ranger Z-20

12. Banned
    There is definitely a raised edge, you can really only feel it with a finger nail. I need to invest in a DA polisher. Hand buffing out that 1'x1' area was actually alot of work!
    You buffed it by hand??? Holy crap! Yeah you need a buffer/polisher, get this one and a wool buffing pad.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp...uffer+polisher

13. Member
    You buffed it by hand??? Holy crap! Yeah you need a buffer/polisher, get this one and a wool buffing pad.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp...uffer+polisher
    yeah it wasn’t fun! My shoulders sounded like a bowl of rice crispies. Snap crackle pop!

is an orbital or DA a better choice? I was eyeing up a harbor freight DA Polisher.
    2006 Ranger Z-20

14. Banned
    yeah it wasn’t fun! My shoulders sounded like a bowl of rice crispies. Snap crackle pop!

is an orbital or DA a better choice? I was eyeing up a harbor freight DA Polisher.
    No,, For buffing compounding/polishing you want the variable hi-speed one like I posted. For $35 the Harbor Freight one is great..

With a buffer like this, 3M compound and a wool pad, you may very well get rid of the rest of the haze you have without any more wet sanding..

15. Member
    IN 1999 I ordered a new champion 193 when i picked it up and took it home i noticed the gelcoat had cloudy spots in it and Thay wouldn't compound out it was on the cap I called champion and they said they had a problem with the gel coat resin at that time they were going after the co that made the resin wanted me to Waite i don't think so the boat went back Thay build me a new boat I ended up with and 2000 anniversary addition that might be the year they went out

16. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom L View Post
    IN 1999 I ordered a new champion 193 when i picked it up and took it home i noticed the gelcoat had cloudy spots in it and Thay wouldn't compound out it was on the cap I called champion and they said they had a problem with the gel coat resin at that time they were going after the co that made the resin wanted me to Waite i don't think so the boat went back Thay build me a new boat I ended up with and 2000 anniversary addition that might be the year they went out
    Champion went from Mtn Home to TN in 2002 time frame. 2010 was the year the last Champ was built under its own name….and three models were built for three more years while wearing the Stratos name.