Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy VERY stiff duel rack and pinion steering!

Hello all, trying to save my summer, pulled apart my rack and pinion steering at the helm to pull my dash off and now that shes all back together its stiff as hell! I narrowed it down to one of the two cables (duel nfb teleflex system) and it seems with one of the two racks connected my steering is a lot easier. I believe its the older style and getting a new cable for that old style is impossible and even the new duel cable system seems hard to get in time, has anyone ever freed up a stiff rack and pinion steering cable and would it be horrible if I ran just one of the two cables to get through to a less busy time at the marinas, also could the two cables be fighting each other from installing it wrong question mark question mark THANK YALL FOR ANY TIME SPENT IN THIS THREAD

2. Member
    Not sure if the even make cables anymore, domestic owns everything and all parts have been transferred to boat steering solutions in Florida, think that’s correct name
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    If one cable is stiff the other isn't far behind. The cable in the housing gets full of junk, harden grease, rust, etc. I've never heard of a way to repair, only replace them. They can be dangerous if one was to seize or strip a gear. I don't know if you can still buy them. Be careful and good luck.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Was iy stiff before you pulled it apart to remove the dash?? that is the first question and you can still find cables try www.fredwarner.net that is where I got my last set
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Member
    The cable housing has a nylon type material lining and it eventually wears and stiffens up the steering, replacement is the cure. The cables themselves are a testament to strength and I’d guess you could hang a small block chevy engine from one of them.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    I would look in to hydraulic steering and replace the whole system.

7. Member
    I switched mine ti to hydraulic.
    Look at U Flex rand!

8. Member
    Y’all know domestic bought u flex also, boat steering solutions is going to be the go to. Domestic has gave them the reins. Domestic from what I understand is dropping hydraulic all together due to the fly by wire systems. If y’all are skeptical, give them a call, it’s quite interesting. What’s on the shelf is it. I went ahead and bought a entire new system for mine
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

9. Member
    I think it's DOMETIC not DOMESTIC.
    Old cables wear into the nylon or plastic linings of the steel cable jackets and when you flex them in new directions they can and will jam up. Cables are best not re routed.
    Hydraulic is nice if you can afford it.

Dometic cables and rack are available and a full replacement is what you will need. You can power lubricate (flush) the cables, though usually the center drive stem is already forced outside the wire windings and will jam again in short order. Lubricating them well on new cables is a good idea. Do not just replace the cables as the helms are stressed from the force applied to the cables. We have seen helms break later under hard operation when reused and the gear mating and play is high because they are worn. We always suggest replacing both cables and helm on replacements.

Give the guy a break on the S in Dometic as his spell check probably corrected it without his knowledge.

BCB

We aren’t aware if UFlex has been acquired by Dometic. We believe they are still owned by an Italian entity.

https://ultraflexgroup.it/

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Y’all know domestic bought u flex also, boat steering solutions is going to be the go to. Domestic has gave them the reins. Domestic from what I understand is dropping hydraulic all together due to the fly by wire systems. If y’all are skeptical, give them a call, it’s quite interesting. What’s on the shelf is it. I went ahead and bought a entire new system for mine

12. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Go hydraulic if you plan on keeping the boat for any length of time , a move I should have made years ago but never did , if I ever have to replace the next will be hydraulic
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Dometic cables and rack are available and a full replacement is what you will need......................................

Give the guy a break on the S in Dometic as his spell check probably corrected it without his knowledge.

BCB
    I wasn't busting his chops, but you know the internet doesn't allow "almost" spelling when searching. Just trying to help.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I wasn't busting his chops, but you know the internet doesn't allow "almost" spelling when searching. Just trying to help.
    Sure it does!

Screenshot_2022-05-05-06-13-42-1_ccexpress.png

15. Member
    Sorry mis typed
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

16. Member
    But y’all I was told shelf stock through DOMETIC is all that will be available and all future supplies will come through boat steering solutions, kinda surprised me as so many boats have the systems on them.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Just asking, did you double check the tilt tube and the motor support tube for freedom and ease of turning? Another option is be to replace the steering with a single cable "No Feed Back system.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

18. Member
    Yes you can run one cable but it's not safe.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex from GA View Post
    Yes you can run one cable but it's not safe.
    Why is it unsafe? There are a lot of boats still running single cable steering with zero issues. That would mean hydraulic steering is unsafe also since it is single point failure as well.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddement View Post
    Why is it unsafe? There are a lot of boats still running single cable steering with zero issues. That would mean hydraulic steering is unsafe also since it is single point failure as well.
    Well that's probably true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast