Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Anything 150 HP and over is regulated to dual cable systems. Most failures actually occur in the cable breaking, not the attachment link arm or link arm bolts. Nuts can come loose, though those are usually reused and shouldn’t be when they loosen.

Quote Originally Posted by ddement View Post
    Why is it unsafe? There are a lot of boats still running single cable steering with zero issues. That would mean hydraulic steering is unsafe also since it is single point failure as well.

2. Member
    alot of those single cable systems are on smaller outboards. The above is correct when getting up to 150 or larger they will have dual cables.

3. Member
    Back when I had a boat with cable steering, I made a device that used an air compressor to force transmission fluid into the cables. You have to put something under the console so that it doesn't make a mess. It freed them up for a while, but they got stiff again. I ended up just putting a hydraulic system in and never looked back.
    2019 Bass Cat Puma
    250 ProXS 4 Stroke

4. Member
    I had a dual cable unit break one, wow that wasn’t kool. Went hydraulic then, best thing I had ever done
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    Domestic bought out Sea Star, but not UFlex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12