New tach for Johnson on a skeeter

Hi guys, I just recently had to replace a mercury 175 and put on a 1988 150 Johnson on my Skeeter. Before the change my tach worked fine. Now I can not get it to function. I know the wiring is set up for a mercury, but I did not think it would make a difference when I had the motors swapped out. So the other day I was messing with the wiring and must have touched the hot wire to the wrong post and saw and could smell the mysterious blue smoke. Not good. So I need to buy a new tach. The question is do I buy one for a mercury since the wires are already color coded for a mercury or do I buy a Johnson's tach and try to figure out the wiring.

In a related problem my trim gauge in not working either since the swap. I think I have it hooked up correctly but it only shows in the up position. The trim gauge worked fine before the swap. Any thoughts? I am more concerned about replacing the Tach first.

2. Member
    Oh just a little more info. The wiring harness is ok after the melting of the tach. I still have 12v and my other gauges are working fine.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The tach needs to be set to 6 for a OMC motor, you are out of luck on the trim gauge as they are different so you will need a new one. Color code on the tach should be purple to IGN, gray to SND and black to ground.

4. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I don't remember seeing any setting on the back of the tach, how do I set it to 6?

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    There should be a pole select switch, it should be a small rotary dial that you move with a small screwdriver.

6. Member
    Awesome!! Thank you