Thread: Wacky Rigging

Wacky Rigging

When throwing a wacky rig, I like to have my hook perpendicular to the worm. To do this, I’ve been using 2 crisscrossed o-rings and putting the hook under the cross. I’m having trouble with my senkos not lasting more than a couple fish or even just tearing in half from the act of skipping. They tear right at the o-rings.

My question is, what do you all do to have the hook perpendicular without using 2 crosses o-rings. Is the VMC crossover tubing good enough to justify the cost of the tubing and pliers? When people use the regular clear tubing, do they just put the hook through the tubing and everything? Any other options I’m not thinking about?

2. Member
    DIY Wacky/Neko sleeves (bbcboards.net) I have used this method, very cheap compared to the commercially available tubing. Also, you can make different sizes for different lures and use this for Neko rigging worms.

3. Member
    Just hook it in the body and fish with it, if it tears up a little bit hook it in a different spot doesn't have to be right in the middle.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDFD29 View Post
    DIY Wacky/Neko sleeves (bbcboards.net) I have used this method, very cheap compared to the commercially available tubing. Also, you can make different sizes for different lures and use this for Neko rigging worms.
    I used to use a single o-ring and now I use this method, to be honest I didn't notice a difference in my hookup percentage or longevity of the bait. I get several fish with the clear tubing, usually the bait will start to tear at the edge of the tubing but I'll still get several more fish before it fully tears off.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

5. Member
    I like to use 3/8 clear heat shrink tubing. Cut about 1/2 inch piece. Slide over the Senko. Heat with a lighter to snug it up. I'm surprised more people don't use this method.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    I like to use 3/8 clear heat shrink tubing. Cut about 1/2 inch piece. Slide over the Senko. Heat with a lighter to snug it up. I'm surprised more people don't use this method.
    I think a lot do including myself, Wayne Purdum put me onto it years ago

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    Been doing this for a few years. Works well. I buy the shrink tubing at the local hobby store.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    Dont like O rings or other extra stuff.Just hook thru the worm.

9. Member
    For a while I was sliding them through a section of an old tube bait and hooking through both. Worked great.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

I've always just hooked through the bait. If I use an $8 bag of baits a day and had a good time catching fish, that's money well spent, IMO.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

11. Member
    Clear heat shrink is the deal in my opinion. Went from using 1-2 bags a day to 1-2 worms a day.