Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My P2 loading issues continue

Been in either a bass boat or bay boat since '92. Never had this issue before. Seems to happen almost half the time. I follow all the tips I've found on here and the owner's board. Hard for me to understand how this happens when the boat is already settled into the bunks.

PXL_20220501_175218882.jpg
    Last edited by PMantle; 05-02-2022 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Move picture.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

2. Member
    I think the problem might be not letting the boat settle down on the bunks first before you advance all the way up

Did that with my Jag this past Sat. Sometimes its hard to tell you are lined up because of the offset of the trolling motor. Usually happens when I am rushing to load.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsmiley View Post
    I think the problem might be not letting the boat settle down on the bunks first before you advance all the way up
    Oh, it's settled. I wait every time. also, it can't be a visual issue, as it's settled, and I confirm placement by looking down at my fender before powering up. There's just a lot of left to right movement of the bow as you go up.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

5. Member
    I may be misunderstanding, but my thinking is that for the boat to be settled on the bunks, that means there is enough contact that the chines on the hull are keeping the hull centered as you push up on the trailer—in which case there should not be much if any side to side movement as the boat gets close to the bow roller. On my pantera the only way its possible for me to miss the bow roller is if my trailer is too deep, which prevents having enough contact with the bunks to center the hull. This will happen if I back in too far, or on ramps that are steeper than normal or off-kilter (unpaved gravel, rocks, etc ramps). For me, that means when I drive onto the trailer my fenders are 3-4 inches above the water line. Are you using a reference like that to make sure trailer isnt too deep?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    I may be misunderstanding, but my thinking is that for the boat to be settled on the bunks, that means there is enough contact that the chines on the hull are keeping the hull centered as you push up on the trailer—in which case there should not be much if any side to side movement as the boat gets close to the bow roller. On my pantera the only way its possible for me to miss the bow roller is if my trailer is too deep, which prevents having enough contact with the bunks to center the hull. This will happen if I back in too far, or on ramps that are steeper than normal or off-kilter (unpaved gravel, rocks, etc ramps). For me, that means when I drive onto the trailer my fenders are 3-4 inches above the water line. Are you using a reference like that to make sure trailer isnt too deep?
    What you say makes sense in theory, but it turns out, there is bow movement when settled.

And as to too deep, I have experimented, and if any shallower, I cannot power up to the roller even though I pre-wet all the bunks. There's a good bit of the shorter bunks out of the water.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

On a 1992 model we often find the bunks got replaced and the replacement was not lined up the same. They must be flexed in significantly on the bow area. It looks to us like they are not inside enough. Also this needs to be outside 2 bunks just clear of the water on the tips, Shallower angled ramps need to be deeper, and deeper angled ramps need more exposed outside bunks tips.

BCB

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    On a 1992 model we often find the bunks got replaced and the replacement was not lined up the same. They must be flexed in significantly on the bow area. It looks to us like they are not inside enough. Also this needs to be outside 2 bunks just clear of the water on the tips, Shallower angled ramps need to be deeper, and deeper angled ramps need more exposed outside bunks tips.

BCB
    Looks like my post cause a bit of confusion. The '92 reference is how long I have been loading boats :lol: The boat pictured is a 2021 P2. Sorry I was not more clear.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

9. Member
    Not sure if this has been considered, but I know on the P2 as well as the Classic, the boat keel is offset to the starboard side...it's not perfectly centered so when you line up the nose to power to the roller you have to take this into account.
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKFishing View Post
    Not sure if this has been considered, but I know on the P2 as well as the Classic, the boat keel is offset to the starboard side...it's not perfectly centered so when you line up the nose to power to the roller you have to take this into account.
    The keel is centered, the top cap is offset for the trolling motor. I have the same issue from time to time, settle onto the bunks and make sure everything is lined up, power up and it goes off to one side or the other. I get it right about 25% of the time. I have found that the P2 is very sensitive to turning the motor even the slightest bit while loading. Once you settle on the bunks, put it back in gear at idle speed and turn the wheel and watch how far the bow will swing. I generally give it a bump to get up closer to the bow roller, then settle back down to idle, turn the wheel ever so slightly to get it line and give it a punch. If I take my time I can get it, if I hurry or there is big wind (every trip out this year), it can be a bit difficult.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    I generally give it a bump to get up closer to the bow roller, then settle back down to idle, turn the wheel ever so slightly to get it line and give it a punch. If I take my time I can get it, if I hurry or there is big wind (every trip out this year), it can be a bit difficult.
    I am going to have to give this a little more effort.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Been in either a bass boat or bay boat since '92. Never had this issue before. Seems to happen almost half the time. I follow all the tips I've found on here and the owner's board. Hard for me to understand how this happens when the boat is already settled into the bunks.

PXL_20220501_175218882.jpg
    Trailer too deep. Operator error.

13. Member
    I went through this too. 2021 p2. Sounds like your trailer is too deep. On a not steep ramp you want just the tips of the outside bunks showing. Idle onto the trailer and let it settle. You need a fixed reference point on the front of the boat that is lined up with the keel. Something simple like a piece of red tape or similar. Line that up with you grab pole when you power on. Like lining up gun sights. You don’t need to hammer it. Backing the trailer bunks in all the way and pulling out helps too as it makes the bunks a little more slippery. Beyond that it is just practice. The offset keel messed me up too for a while, reference points help.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchdiggerjcfII View Post
    Trailer too deep. Operator error.
    Nope
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

15. Member
    I did this with my Classic for the first month or so. Pretty much cured it now. I line up the seat post holes with the grab bar. A little steering either way can move the nose a good bit.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CK11 View Post
    A little steering either way can move the nose a good bit.
    It's amazing how many people do not realize this. Has never happened on my previous boats, but I think the bunks were all deeper on those trailers.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKFishing View Post
    This is key!! What look like center is not center. Center is to the right just a bit. When it is loaded correctly stand in front and get a visual of actual center. Helps alot to see in relation where center actually is
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

18. Member
    Im sure you have heard it 100 times already, but you have to let the p2 do what it wants to when loading. Cant bury the fenders like other brands or models. Prolly half the front fender showing out of water. Have to drive it up on the roller for sure so it sets in the bunks right. The p2 was my first basscat and i couldnt load it at all at first. I had another brand and it was easy. Another basscat owner saw me struggling and showed me the trick and it was easy after that. Just keep trying. You will get it

19. Member
    Redngoo has a good point. The nose is not as centered in front. May throw you off when loading

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkp2609 View Post
    Im sure you have heard it 100 times already, but you have to let the p2 do what it wants to when loading. Cant bury the fenders like other brands or models. Prolly half the front fender showing out of water. Have to drive it up on the roller for sure so it sets in the bunks right. The p2 was my first basscat and i couldnt load it at all at first. I had another brand and it was easy. Another basscat owner saw me struggling and showed me the trick and it was easy after that. Just keep trying. You will get it
    Its been pointed out to him numerous times. He must be a hard case.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast