Latch replacement...

Ok, I held off on this because I felt like I was asking too many questions, but I need to decide what to do about my locker latches.

Previous owner replaced a few it seems, so I have 6 locker latches plus 1 day box slam latch. The keys I have only work on 3 of the 6 lockers, and I have no key at all for the day box.

Day box I am not to worried about, but would like to get the 6 main lockers sorted out. The starboard rod locker latch is actually locked, but I can turn it ie open and close, but since the lock is "engaged" ie the little tab is sticking out, the latch won't sit flush with the deck as it won't seat in the latch receptacle.

So, I guess my choices are to swap all all 6 to get matching latches/locks... seems like a strait-forward task as I am assuming Skeeter uses a standard size - just buy the new latches (From Skeeter, or 3rd party ie Perko, Southco, etc? Seems like $40-50 per latch is the norm. I like the Southco with the D Loop handle like Basscat uses over the rounded T style (Perko?) currently on the boat, but could go with either I suppose.

So assuming Southco, that's already over $300 for replacement latches. Another option is to forego latches and go "Champion Style" with pull tabs and just use a lok-r-bar (which I want to get anyway) for locking the forward lockers. Just not sure how to attach the pull tabs to the lids to be honest.

Anyway, looking for thoughts or ideas. I guess either option would work... just trying to decide which way to go.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 05-02-2022 at 04:07 PM.

2. Member
    I replaced my latches with the "d-loop" last year and really wish I did the "t-style" instead. When I open lids if I don't pull my middle finger out in time it gets pinched.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    I replaced my latches with the "d-loop" last year and really wish I did the "t-style" instead. When I open lids if I don't pull my middle finger out in time it gets pinched.
    Interesting, I have been reading and seems that is a popular opinion, preferring the T-Handle in general. I was looking at the D Loop style due to reports (Ken Smith) of the T-handle snapping rods, but TBH I've never heard that from anyone else. So maybe I will stick with the Perko T handle, which is certainly less expensive as well :).

Oh and I was able to sort of the "locked but not locked" latch by taking the c-clip off the back side of the lock and moving it 180*. So now it's "unlocked" and sits flush with the deck at least. Can't lock it of course, but couldn't lock it before so no loss.

Just have to decide it I want to mess with replacing all the latches, which would get me back to all being keyed alike (other than the daybox), or just keep running what I have now and just use the a loc-r-bar for the front boxes.

I need to check the battery compartment too now that I think about it, not sure if key works for that one or not.

Went to Perko site and am more confused now. All I see are black or painted latches, no chrome like I have currently... maybe a different manf? I guess I need to call Skeeter Dealer in Palatka.

Ok, I don't know what I was thinking, my latches are black w/chrome handle, just like the ones on Perko site. Not sure why I thought they were full chrome.

My club guys have me convinced to not worry about replacing them, and not to lock them - esp since I have a Loc-R-Bar coming. Thieves I guess can tear the up pretty easy and get in if they want to, so the thought process is forget about locking the latches and just use the bar when needed. So going to hold off for now I guess - have other stuff I can spend boat money on... ie 2nd power pole, 2nd 12", etc :).