Adding weight to balance rod

Hi all, I was messing around with some combos today, specifically spinning combos and was curious if anyone ever adds weight to the butt ends of their rods to help balance/promote a tip up position of the rod? If so what do you use?

2. Member
    You can try the Rod Balancing System which consists of a rubberized butt cap and weights you can add to provide ballast for your tip heavy rods to achieve a more balanced rod solution and enhance your ability to have potentially better sensitivity.

If you are in the Twin Cities area, you can check it out at Capra's Outdoors in person. If you would prefer a more permanent solution, you could always drop by the Custom Rod Shop at Thorne Brothers and see if they can help you as well.

Please have a great day!

Rod Balancing System Link: The Balancer Rod Balancing System - Rod Accessories - Fishing (caprasoutdoors.com)
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

3. Member
    I balance most of my rods with a 1" chair leg protector and a couple quarters inside the cap usually does it for weight. You can also get some lead pounded flat to put in there if you need more weight.

I use the reel to balance, everything is trying to as light as they can, reel weight now makes the rod nose heavy. I have a rod that I put a Tatula LT on, then a Percyon AL, the Procyon was a bit heavier, and the rod balanced out nice.

5. Member
    I've used the matagi balancers for a couple rods. They look and work great but are 27mm in diameter so it may take some contouring of the butt to make it flow depending on the rod.

6. Member
    Chair caps. Can be removed and modified as needed. Any rod that I felt the need to balance accomplished that goal with just a cap. However several quarters can be easily added to a cap if needed. Plus if you sell the rod or change reels it’s nothing to change or remove
    Nitro z21

7. Member

I use these, usually with one weight and fine tune the balance of each combo with coins to get the rod tip to float in the position it will be fished in. For example, bottom contact lures the tip floats at about 10 o’ clock, crankbaits the tip floats at about 7 o’clock, etc. Hopefully that makes sense.

8. Member
    I love that they show it on a split grip!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakesareabassin View Post
    Hi all, I was messing around with some combos today, specifically spinning combos and was curious if anyone ever adds weight to the butt ends of their rods to help balance/promote a tip up position of the rod? If so what do you use?
    Appropriate sized cylinder drop-shot weights epoxied into the butt end of the rod shaft.

oe

10. Member
    chair caps with quarters
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947