200 Pro XS, issue with alternator?

Pro XS 200 4 stroke
    3B180371

I noticed that the motor isn't charging my battery. I thought I should be seeing above 13 volts while idle and above 14 while on throttle but my battery just stays above 12, and even goes down slowly. I was able to fish all of yesterday and some of today, resting battery voltage read 12.3 at the end thank goodness. If it's a bad alternator I would think the motor would've died sooner? Something doesn't add up.

Im getting it to a dealer but was wondering if this is a common issue for the new Pro XS 4 strokes. Between this and the trim issue I hope it all gets resolved. A little disappointed these issues happen with a brand new motor and the technology we have today.
    Last edited by th365thli; 05-01-2022 at 10:33 PM.

2. Member
    You seem to be missing a number on your serial.

Yes thats low for some reason,hopefully the dealer can get it fixed. I have the same motor and I believe I've seen mine showing 14.7 Volts even at idle on VVM.

3. Member
    Thanks you're right, it should be fixed now.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Thanks you're right, it should be fixed now.
    What was the problem/fix?
    21 Phoenix 819 Pro
    21 Mercury Pro XS 200 4 Stroke (3B003279)

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sefty77 View Post
    What was the problem/fix?
    Sorry, I meant I fixed my serial number typo. I'm dropping the boat off tmrw. We'll see what the tech says. I need to get the alternator looked at as well as the trim/tilt system. The trim/tilt falls down by itself over time. No signs of external fluid leakage.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to check the voltage on the LARGE RED output terminal of the alternator, with the engine running at idle speed.

Voltage 11.5 - 12.8 VDC: Check voltage on each of the two wires in the small connector.

Voltage ABOVE 14.7VDC: Test fusible link lead (likely blown).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Responded here: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1178607

Dealer confirmed alternator needs to be replaced. Part is available for order and covered under warranty.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Responded here: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1178607

Dealer confirmed alternator needs to be replaced. Part is available for order and covered under warranty.
    Alternator would be, if defective. Fusible link lead (separate component) is NOT covered.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    So just wanted to post an update on this. It turns out it actually wasn't the alternator.

Bass Pro Tracker Service received the new alternator and put it on, but the problem persisted. They checked EVERYTHING, including battery, cables, and everywhere on the alternator itself. They had to bring out a Mercury rep who luckily lived in the same area. They discovered that paint was preventing the alternator from grounding properly to the engine. They removed the paint and lo and behold everything was charging correctly and there was nothing actually wrong with the original alternator. The ground contact must have been intermittent as it passed pre delivery inspection.

There may likely be a recall in the future as someone (or something) was over zealous painting parts of the engine. Regardless, glad to have the engine charge my batteries properly again and many thanks to Justin at Tracker Service in Cary, NC for excellent communication.

Now just gotta wait for a trim/tilt assembly to replace my current faulty one......

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unusual to see that- most of those bosses are clean and free of paint ready for assembly.

But... mistakes happen sometimes. Glad they were able to find the faulty ground and correct it.