Thread: Clinton

Clinton

Anybody been up to Clinton lately? I havent been up in a while and am going up in a couple days. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

It has been fish'n really good for the past 10 or so days. There are new fish moving to the bank every day. The water is too stained to actually sight fish, but we have been catching a lot of good fish just "blind fish'n" in the back end of coves and main lake pockets with hard bottoms.

I've been catching them early in the day on a black/green pumpkin chatterbait with a green pumpkin Zako trailer and also dragging a Texas rigged lizard or Brush Hog on hard bottom flats in the back half of the cuts/pockets.IMG_0965.PNGIMG_0966.PNGIMG_0967.PNGIMG_0984.PNGIMG_0983.jpg

Here are a few fish from this past week....except the one with the red hat...not sure why that one attached to this file, lol
    Last edited by Philly; 05-02-2022 at 02:20 PM.

3. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Nice job Philly

Dale Sinclair original

4. Member
    Thanks for the awesome info Philly

Quote Originally Posted by Zachc24 View Post
    Thanks for the awesome info Philly
    Sure thing. Feel free to call/text me when y’all get over here and I can maybe give you more current info. I’ve been fish’n almost every day lately…at least for awhile after work.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Sure thing. Feel free to call/text me when y’all get over here and I can maybe give you more current info. I’ve been fish’n almost every day lately…at least for awhile after work.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate it.

7. Member
    Long time lurker - First time poster. Philly - your posts are always great thanks for taking the time to write them

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hsiftac View Post
    Long time lurker - First time poster. Philly - your posts are always great thanks for taking the time to write them
    THIS !! Thanks Phillie

Thank y’all for the kind words. I have gained some very useful knowledge from others on this site about fish’n and MANY other topics and I am always happy to pay it back by trying to provide relevant information for Clinton and the other places where I fish regularly.

On that topic, we fished a tournament at Springfield today. We had a limit of about 11 lbs by 0900 and culled up several times throughout the day. We ended up weighing a 12.36 lb limit and finished just outside of check range. We really needed a big fish today but it just never came together. 16 lbs ended up winning.

We caught every single one of our fish flipping shallow (2’-3’) docks, rocks, and flooded bushes. Baits were Texas Rigged Senko and Paca Craw both in Junebug color variations. The water was too stained to sight fish, but the way that the fish were picking up the bait made it very apparent that they were bed fish.

Next week is the BFL at Shelbyville, so I’m looking forward to that one!

10. Member
    Anyone been out to Clinton since the warm up? I can’t imagine the extreme heat has been good for fishing. Heading out on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by hsiftac View Post
    Anyone been out to Clinton since the warm up? I can’t imagine the extreme heat has been good for fishing. Heading out on Saturday
    I fished for a few hours this morning and they were snapping pretty good. We started at 0545 and only fished until about 0930 because we both had stuff going on at work. We started in Rt 10 Cove and caught 3 keepers out of there including a big one…all on a black buzzbait. We fished the last couple hours in the coves between Westside Ramp and the power lines and caught a few more keepers and another big fish. After the sun came up we caught them flipping a green pumpkin midsize brush hog. There are a LOT of fish on the bank right now. The only issue you will have on a Saturday is finding a few that haven’t head their heads pounded by 12 other boats before you get to them.

12. Member
    Once again thanks Philly

13. Member
    Tough bite for me today, couldn’t quite figure them out. Threw just about everything at them. Crappie are biting at least

14. Member
    It was definately tough. About 9 pounds won our club tournament (best 3). Junebug seemed to be what the would bite. We threw a lot at them and junebug finesse worm and senko were what we caught ours on.

15. Member
    Heading down on Saturday for a day and a half of catching up with a lake i haven't seen in a few years. Any updates would be appreciated.
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

Quote Originally Posted by HOGIE View Post
    Heading down on Saturday for a day and a half of catching up with a lake i haven't seen in a few years. Any updates would be appreciated.
    The water is up a couple feet and stained from the rain that we have had recently. It is supposed to rain some more today (Thurs, 5/26) and tomorrow, so it should be even higher and more stained by the weekend.

The fish'n has been pretty steady and there are still some fish in all 3 phases of the spawn. I fished for a couple hours Tuesday after work and caught 3 big pre-spawn fish from main lake points on a Carolina-Rigged mid-size Brush Hog (green pumpkin with a little chartreuse dye on tips of tails). I have also caught some post-spawn fish this week on a DT-8 (custon purple shad paint) from a couple spots where the channel swings in on riprap banks.

I haven't fished in the morning at all in the last week (at least not at Clinton) but I know that they have been hitting a Whopper Plopper pretty good for an hour or so before the sun gets real highand that is usually pretty consistent all the way into the middle of June. Keep throwing it until they quit on it, because some times they will hit it all day long.

That's really about all I know right now...Ive got a team tournament at Jacksonville this weekend, so I probably wont fish at Clinton until Sunday night or Monday....Good Luck and be safe because the wake boat mafia will be out in full force this weekend!!

17. Member
    Thank You Philly!
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

Philly..you da man. Miss fishing with ya bud but I think I might make a trip down next april when the hot side opens up.

Roumel Reynon
    2010 Ranger 198VX / Mercury Pro XS 200hp

Quote Originally Posted by Rokmel View Post
    Philly..you da man. Miss fishing with ya bud but I think I might make a trip down next april when the hot side opens up.
    Right on man. I missed having you come down for one of our usual April jam sessions on Clinton!! It’s been cool following you on Facebook as you guys chase your dream in Iowa. The MLF/BFL Regional is at Pool 7/8 this year and I took off for about 3 weeks in late September and early October to practice and compete (assuming I qualify of course, lol). I was thinking that I might stop by and check out your new place and your restaurant on my way up to Lacrosse or maybe on my way back.