When to replace boat trailer tires??

My Goodyear radial Marathon tires have maybe 3 thousand miles on them and are 7 years old. Tread looks fine. How do I know when to put new ones on?

Thanks for any suggestions.

general consensus, is 5 to 6 years , usually the sidewalls deteriorate from oxidation , sun drying rubber out ,etc. check for cracks , cuts, bubbles on the sidewalls

2009 ELITE 210

3. Member
    If you have had Goodyear Marathons on your trailer, for that long and haven’t had a blow out, you are lucky. I would get rid of them ASAP, the Goodyear Endurance on the other hand are one of the best trailer tires on the market.

4. Member
    Replace them. 5 years is my max on trailer tires. If you have a tandem axle, depending on your wheel size you can run P tires.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

5. Scraps
    I'm proving that 6yrs is too long for Marathons. Nothing obviously wrong, but have failed two tires in the last 8 months. Don't think it's a coincidence.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    Marathon get rid of them I blow a tire last week didn't realize but two of my tires were 7 years old, and the tread looked good went to goodyear endurance. I didn't realize that there
    should be changer about every 4 years. from what they're telling me there is no warrantee on trailer tires what that tell you paid 139.00 each good luck

7. Member
    Just replaced today 4 Goodyear Marathons that were 7 years old. Went with Goodyear Endurance. New valve stems & balance - $592 out the door. I'll sleep better tonight.

8. Member
    I am going back with automotive tires next time myself
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

9. Member
    You are past due for replacement on those tires, especially if you are storing it outside which deteriorates them even quicker. Sun is the worst thing for your tires, so keep them out of it or cover them. I have heard some good things about 303 tire treatment with UV protection, but I am sure is not like keeping your trailer inside or under a carport that has sides to it.

I have Trailer King RST in D load rating even though C load would have been fine, however, I like the option of running 65 psi air pressure if I am going to run constant highway 70+mph, though for my weight 60 psi is plenty. Please get you tires balanced, which will make a good difference for tires, bearing, and suspension overall, and if you are not using your trailer for a while, take some load off your tires by putting it on jacks, like we do with the RVs using wood under tires if sitting on crusher run stone to keep lime away from them.
    If you can, every now and then, check the air pressure and take the trailer for a good ride for a couple miles to get some heat into them and keep the rubber working and flexing so hopefully you can avoid cracking.