Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cayuga Lake fishing tough right now?

I finally had a chance to get out yesterday on Cayuga and didn’t have any luck. The conditions were decent in the morning but after 3pm it got real windy and choppy so I headed home. Water temps were 50 degrees so I figured that a square bill would be a good place to start but no bites.

There were a bunch of boats up to the north end where I was and didn’t see anyone else have any success other than one pickerel that I saw caught. Anyone else have any success out there this weekend?

2. Member
    I think this spring weather really has all types of fish in funky moods. 70s one day, blizzards the next, then rain after that. I ve went trout fishing 3 times this April, to 4 different streams and I haven’t even had a bite yet. Went bass fishing once to a small local pond and we caught 25. This pond is less than 3/4 mile long so it’s tiny but put out some good fish. That was after 3 days of steady temps and after the snow storm so I think the sun just made them feed.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Rochester Bassmasters had an open tournament there on Saturday, winning team had 30 lbs.

4. Member
    I did well yesterday, 2 fish over 5, biggest being a 5.7. Also caught a handful of 4s. I fish from a kayak and covered over 6 miles, couldn’t find them other than one certain spot which I will keep disclosed haha.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaillusion View Post
    I did well yesterday, 2 fish over 5, biggest being a 5.7. Also caught a handful of 4s. I fish from a kayak and covered over 6 miles, couldn’t find them other than one certain spot which I will keep disclosed haha.
    Dang! You did a whole heck of a lot better than me.

What did you have the most success with throwing?

6. Member
    All the fish were caught off a chatterbait. Changed up the retrieval speeds and kept pulling fish out of the same spot / area.

All the fish were caught off a chatterbait. Changed up the retrieval speeds and kept pulling fish out of the same spot / area.
    Thanks!

I had no luck throwing a 1/2oz Jackhammer in fire craw color with a Hog Farmer spunk shad trailer. I probably should've tried a green pumpkin color instead.

8. Member
    I don’t think that would’ve made much of difference, as. I was tossing something similar. I just don’t think you found em. Like I said, I covered over 6 miles (which is a lot for a kayaker). I probably made thousands of casts, and could only find them in one small isolated spot. I’m not sure what made the area so special as I don’t have a fish finder or graphing but I think they just aren’t cruising quite yet. I don’t think it’s the peak of the pre spawn as water temps are still in the low 50s

I don’t think that would’ve made much of difference, as. I was tossing something similar. I just don’t think you found em. Like I said, I covered over 6 miles (which is a lot for a kayaker). I probably made thousands of casts, and could only find them in one small isolated spot. I’m not sure what made the area so special as I don’t have a fish finder or graphing but I think they just aren’t cruising quite yet. I don’t think it’s the peak of the pre spawn as water temps are still in the low 50s
    That's a ton of water to cover in a Kayak! I have a peddle drive kayak and wouldn't be able to walk the next day if I peddled that far.

10. Member
    Spent 7 Hours there last Thursday, nothing for 6 hours. Last hour found a spot and ended up getting 10 in an hour. Best 5 between 25-26lbs. With this 7-11 mixed in there.711.jpg

However it took 6 hours of grinding to get that one spot. So it did seem to be fishing tougher than years past. Next few weeks should really be turning them on pretty good.
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by dmackaravitz View Post
    Spent 7 Hours there last Thursday, nothing for 6 hours. Last hour found a spot and ended up getting 10 in an hour. Best 5 between 25-26lbs. With this 7-11 mixed in there.711.jpg

However it took 6 hours of grinding to get that one spot. So it did seem to be fishing tougher than years past. Next few weeks should really be turning them on pretty good.
    Nicely done!

I can’t wait to get back up there and try again. Hoping I can turn my luck around.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
    Nicely done!

I can’t wait to get back up there and try again. Hoping I can turn my luck around.
    Thanks, It started out as my worst day of fishing, 15-20mph winds, 30* temps in the morning. Without a single bite for 6 hours, I packed all my stuff and headed towards the ramp, decided to make one more stop...and it paid off big time. Sometimes you just gotta keep grinding to find that one spot.
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

Hoping to get back up there either next Monday or Tuesday to try my hand again. Was hoping to get up there today but it didn’t happen, and the weather this weekend looks lousy as well.

good luck to anyone else getting out the next week or so.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
    Hoping to get back up there either next Monday or Tuesday to try my hand again. Was hoping to get up there today but it didn’t happen, and the weather this weekend looks lousy as well.

good luck to anyone else getting out the next week or so.
    friend of mine had 31.30 best five anchored by a 8.06 giant yesterday

Man, that’s impressive!

I was able to get back up to Cayuga today and get some redemption.

My best 5 of the day was 5.5, 5.2, 2.75, 2.6, and 2.5. 18.5 for the day.

I caught a bunch around 1 pound as well. It was a real good day out on the water today.

17. Member
    Nice! Good to hear this outing went well
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Here are a few photos of my three biggest ones from yesterday.

5.5lber

IMG_5096.jpg IMG_5094.jpg

5.2lber

IMG_5085.jpgIMG_5083.jpg

2.75lber

IMG_5089.jpgIMG_5090.jpg

19. Member
    Rochester Bassmasters Preseason Tournament on 5/14 took 31.1lbs to win.

Partner and I had 28.24 good enough for 2nd place.

Cayuga is a special place in the spring
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by dmackaravitz View Post
    Rochester Bassmasters Preseason Tournament on 5/14 took 31.1lbs to win.

Partner and I had 28.24 good enough for 2nd place.

Cayuga is a special place in the spring
    I saw that. That's some impressive weights you guys hauled in.

Cayuga Lake is very special this time of year for sure. Not sure how many really know that but that

I'll be fishing up there for 3 days the end of this week and the weekend. Hoping to better on my last outing now that I know what the big girls are biting on.

I'm going to try and see if the fish have moved up shallow as everything I caught was offshore and in deeper water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast