Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2004 285 pro xl dc

Hey guys Im looking at this boat. It amazingly clean and supposedly low hours. (Under 100) Has the 150 Optimax on it. I have a couple of questions for yall. I may not be able to do a compression check so that makes me nervous. Not his fault but I just dont see doing it at the boat ramp. How worried should I be about that? He said it tops out at 52mph. with a 24 pitch prop.. is this a low number ?. seems like it should run faster than that. Only things not working is the speedo.. which i feel like i can tace down .. clogged tube maybe.. and fuel gauge. What do yall think of this boat ? any of you use one of these?

2. Member
    I don’t know what that particular boat will top out at, but my 1994 285 pro xl dc has hit 62mph (gps). I don’t know anything about my prop, it was the one that came with it & I can’t find #s on it. I can’t imagine a newer boat being slower, 52mph seems low. So yeah I think you should want a compression check. It shouldn’t be too hard to do at the ramp vs a driveway, etc

A lot more info needed to comment on boat speed. But if set up correctly it should be a 60 mph boat. What are the RPMs? Hole the motor is in, etc.
    it has a great layout and was very popular
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    A lot more info needed to comment on boat speed. But if set up correctly it should be a 60 mph boat. What are the RPMs? Hole the motor is in, etc.
    it has a great layout and was very popular
    he said it has a 24 pitch prop ( stainless but i dont know what brand) no jack plate
    Last edited by styler; 05-01-2022 at 12:40 PM.

Styler, there is so much more to know about the boat and engine and because of that it's really hard for us to help. That model boat is proven and a really nice ride. That said, who knows if there is anything wrong with it. Do you know anyone that is a long-time bass boat owner that would look it over with you and show you what and how to look? Something as simple as set up or worn prop (it may look fine) can have a big impact on performance.
    Good luck
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    Thanks Guys I know a little but I've not ran this boat before. My current boat is a stratos 284 FS with a 150 Johnson. Heck I run 53mph on the GPS no problem so to me this is way slow. That said ill have to go run it to see. Im hoping he is wrong about the speed.

7. Member
    So I did a compression check at his house. Just bought a tester and did it my self. Every cylinder was very close to 110 by my gauge. I know these gauges can read different but at least they were all the same. Could not run the boat because of time. Boat looked great very little to complain about. Speedo and fuel gauge doesn't work. The hydraulic steering was leaking. And one of the rear storage boxes was missing the plastic liner. Im sure I can fix the 3 issues dont know where to get that liner. Do you guys? I can get this boat for around 18k what yall think? Im still not ready to pull the trigger until we water test it . I believe it should run faster than he stated but I wont know till the water test of course. Motor sounded great in the yard . Very smooth .. I did not rev it .

8. Banned
    Sent you a Pm

9. Member
    6" jackplate, 3.5 to 3.75 below the pad, and a good prop and it should 60 to 65mph at low altitude. My 2004, 285 with a Yamaha F150 will run 60-63mph light load.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL / Yamaha VF150

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Musky Mike View Post
    6" jackplate, 3.5 to 3.75 below the pad, and a good prop and it should 60 to 65mph at low altitude. My 2004, 285 with a Yamaha F150 will run 60-63mph light load.
    I posted on the prop section too but I ran it today 3 people no gear 1/2 tank gas and best I could get was 46-48 mph rpms were 46-4800 its a 24 pitch prop 3 blade stainless but I cant tell what brand it is.

Something's not right. That boat should run at least upper 50's with no problem. Might even be something simple like the throttle cable needing adjusting. IMO, due to the lack of speed, I'd find a dealer that can give it a once-over. It's a clean looking Stratos though.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

As Jav389 said, make sure you are getting full open throttle. The prop may look okay but could be so out of wake that she won't turn well. Get those two things checked out.
    Another quick thing to check is your prop to pad. If it's too deep you will never get good performance.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

13. Member
    it does have a hot foot so you guys may be on to something. I need to see if they have it adjusted right.
    Last edited by styler; 05-14-2022 at 08:46 PM.

14. Member
    A friend of a friend who is a certified tech came over and helped me today. we pulled the lower and replaced the impellor, gear oil reinstalled the speedo tube. also replaced spark plugs, fuel separator. We checked the hot foot and yes its giving full throttle. as luck would have it . it rained hard all day so we didn't run it .
    He was very happy with the cleanliness of the engine and over all boat. Ill have to get some pics up but it really is super clean for a 2004. next step is to get out with him and try some props. hopefully we will get to do that this week . ill keep yall posted.

Styler, check your prop to pad measurement. If too deep that could be the reason. You want to be around 3.5'', that said that's a round about starting measurement when a JP is on it.
    But, if you are 4+ inches below pad then raise it up a hole. Better yet, put a JP on it.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Styler, check your prop to pad measurement. If too deep that could be the reason. You want to be around 3.5'', that said that's a round about starting measurement when a JP is on it.
    But, if you are 4+ inches below pad then raise it up a hole. Better yet, put a JP on it.
    Will do thanks guys for your patients here. Yes Ill check the prop to pad. we talking center of prop to bottom of pad right? If all works out ill be able to run this boat in the next day or so . between rain and work im struggling to find lake time.

17. Member
    ok so I leveled my pad 14 1/2" to the concrete floor then leveled my motor (using cavitation plate) 10 1/4" so thats 4 1/4" difference. one hole looks like it would raise it about and inch or less which should put it at like 3 3/8" . you guys think i need to raise one hole and go from there?. i know a jack plate is needed but for now im not buying one.. one thing at a time.
    Last edited by styler; 05-25-2022 at 01:35 PM.

It's worth a try, but remember, props will make a big difference. I think a 24 Trophy plus is right for your boat particularly when you raise it one hole. These OMC boats like 4 blades and hold the water much better with a 4
    Last edited by tdt91; 05-25-2022 at 07:44 PM.

19. Member
    Ok i ran the boat today best i got was 50 mph (gps) by myself almost out of fuel no gear.. surprised it did 50 .. poor hole shot and takes a while to make it to top speed. 4500 rpm . I can trim up too far and it'll loose a little . a few bumps back down and it tops out at that 4500 rpms. It handles well and water presser and temps were good. only hiccup i had was when loading it on the trailer an alarm sounded . if i gave it throttle to push it on the trailer it would sound and go away when I let off. possibly motor to high giving low water pressure alarm? I backed it off the trailer , lowered the engine and no more alarm .. did a quick run across the lake and back with problems. then stuck it right on the trailer slick a butter. 2004 optimax 150 hp ser.#ot862351

I'm now thinking fuel restriction. Also, testing with an unknown prop is useless. It may look good but that means nothing. You need to test with new or a made back to proper specs by a reputable shop that knows high performance props.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast