Motor height and performance

Running a lund prov 1975 with a 225 verado. Considering raising the motor a couple holes as it seems on the low side. I know from past experience this will help with top end and efficiency. My question is am I giving up rough water handling? More chance of porpoising, ect? Boat rides pretty good now but if there are no downsides i might as well go up a hole or two.

I should also note because of the software limits I can not trim this motor high enough to lose grip. (Going straight anyhow)

Running an 19p enertia prop but also have a rev4. Rpms a about 6000 with a decent load. wouldnt mind being a little higher.

Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Where is it now and how fast are you going ?

3. Member
    Does about 52 empty of full. Cavitation plate is about 1” above the bottom of the boat.

4. Member
    My nephew has a 21' Pro Bass model with a 250 pro xs and a hydraulic jack plate and raising it does not seem to effect speed much maybe 1 mph. Without a plate raising yours won't make any difference and being that its an aluminum hull with no pad will be a waste of time. If you raise it you you'll probably start having prop slip or ot will porpoise and lose speed.

5. Member
    I had a Princecraft Xpedition 200 ( not the same boat as you but similar - no pad - V bottom) with a Verado 250 Pro. Motor was in third hole from the top (middle hole), no jackplate. Boat did not purpoise. At the time I was running a Lazer II - 21 P. Never lost grip - very fast on plane - running at 6100 RPM - top speed 62 mph. Light boat with a side console.

6. Member
    In my little experience, aluminum boats typically stop responding to engine height fast. However benefits of running shallower can be appealing. You could probably come up two holes with the 4 blade and not have issues. Water pressure gauge is a must. You would probably come out of the water faster. Stay on plane at lower speeds and probably maintain same top speed. You'll want the 4 blade for grip in hard corners and rough water.