Mercury Fury Prop issue

I have been running a 25" pitch fury that is a bit too much for my 225 Pro XS. I just bought a 24" Fury off of BBC and it is slightly rubbing when I mount it on the merc with the mounting hardware from my 25" Fury (Flo Torq 2??? It's the one with the black plastic pieces inside). I notice that the 24" has 3 vanes that stick out a bit where my 25" has 4 "recessed" vanes. Do I need some sort of thrust washer to install the 24"?

225 Pro XS --- Serial Number 1B262995

Did some more troubleshooting today (5/8). Slathered everything in grease and mounted the prop a few times. It appears that there is a "rub" on the OD of the front of the prop where it is contacting the ID of the hub. Has anyone ever seen this?
    24 Fury rub on prop OD.JPG24 Fury rub in hub.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cajun Skeeter; 05-08-2022 at 11:31 PM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Skeeter View Post
    I have been running a 25" pitch fury that is a bit too much for my 225 Pro XS. I just bought a 24" Fury off of BBC and it is slightly rubbing when I mount it on the merc with the mounting hardware from my 25" Fury (Flo Torq 2??? It's the one with the black plastic pieces inside). I notice that the 24" has 3 vanes that stick out a bit where my 25" has 4 "recessed" vanes. Do I need some sort of thrust washer to install the 24"?

(edit: I just had a local mechanic tell me that I should just try to locate where it is rubbing and grind it down some at that location....does this sound right?)
    I'm no prop expert, but I wouldn't suggest grinding on it as I would think this could throw the balance of the prop off.

Please post the serial number of your motor as well.

3. Member
    Serial Number added to original post.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take some more pictures of BOTH propellers. Was that 24P a brand-new in box propeller?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Did some troubleshooting today by adding some grease on the prop and looking for contact spots... See new pics added to original post. It looks to me like the OD of the front of the prop is rubbing on the ID of the hub.

Don...regarding your earlier question; I bought this prop from someone on BBC and was told that it was a brand new take-off from a boat (not sure if this year or earlier?). The prop also has a rubber/plastic balance weight in it if that tells you anything.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I suspect that prop is bent- or has an abnormality in the barrel itself (a decent prop guy could fix this quite easily).

If it has a balance weight inside the barrel (they're big), it's a fairly recent production prop.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor