Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

another question about zero turn mowers??

I have 2 1/2 acres to mow around the house with no trees or shrubs to dance around. The house sits on top of a small hill from the hard ball road. Not sue what degree of slope for the hill. I do have about 3 acres of woods that I want to cut a trail through if possible. I'm looking at JD or kubota with a 60 inch cut. Also what accessories would you recommend? Thanks for what you have experienced.
    Mike

I have 2 acres, fairly flat, a few trees and I cut it with a Scag Tiger Cat, 27 HP and 61" deck. I can cut the whole yard in about 45-50 minutes. And it does a great job. I've had it for 12 years, only major repair I've had to do is replace the belt that drives the pump. Other than that, just regular maintenance.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

3. Member
    i have a bobcat and a grasshopper the grasshopper is by far my favorite. it has a snow blower also so it is used year round here.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    I mow about 3 1/2 acres with a Kubota ZD1211 with a 60" deck. Its a machine!

5. Member
    I borrowed my uncle's Kubota several times when I was in between mowers. I thought I was sold on it til I had a bad boy delivered to test. No comparison. I bought a bad boy Maverick and will never get anything else....love my Kubota L4400 tractor and loader, but bad boy mowers really impressed me. Just my 2 cents

6. Member
    Do a little research on how much of a slope you can safely cut with a zero turn before purchasing one.

7. Member
    I mowed my FIL's 2 acres yesterday with a Hustler 54". That one has 350ish hours on it. There is a big hill to mow. The left pump is getting weak, the engine is fine tho it has been in the shop once for the auto choke. The pumps are sealed so when it goes out it's replacement time. I don't see myself ever buying another ZTR that has sealed pumps. That leaves out almost every residential mower.

Buy the brand the dealer you have a relationship with services. I tried to talk with our local Kubota dealer and they treated me like chit. The local Deere dealer has folks that don't mind showing you around. The local Hustler dealer got ran off their lease because they were in a high cost residential area of town. I am not sure what I will do when it's time for service on the Hustler?

If you are in Clarksville TN I recommend checking out the Grasshopper dealer over by the HD dealership, lor XMark over near the Kubota dealer. I have a Deere tractor but that would take you longer to mow.

8. Member
    I bought my riding mower from Hudson JD dealer in Clarksville over 20 years ago. They have treated me right in servicing the mower all those years

9. Member
    I have a 15 year old JD Z425 and it has been great. The only engine issue was when a piece of grit got in the float bowl, even then it would take a bit to crank and then ran fine. I don't know how much slope you have, but you might want to see if you can get a demo ride of a zero turn to make sure you feel comfortable. I have a small area at the very front of my yard that slopes and is clay and when it is damp, it is a bit tricky, especially with a 3-4' ditch there. I don't know about accessories other than some sound deadening headphones.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hypoxic View Post
    I bought my riding mower from Hudson JD dealer in Clarksville over 20 years ago. They have treated me right in servicing the mower all those years
    Then I'd buy another Deere.

11. Member
    Sounds like you have some acreage to take care of, I would look into working a deal,for a Kubota zero turn and a utility tractor. Don't know your budget but having both covers alot of needs. JD would be my second choice.

We are on our 2nd John Deere commercial mower. 60 in deck...920m. My youngest son has a Kubota. Have used both of them.Kubota is cheaper but its not as efficient as the John Deere. Getting close to having 800 hrs on the Deere. Use amsoil for the engine....

For as much as we mow with it the Deere is sooooo much more comfortable to ride. On the new John Deere mowers you can opt to get one with the weird looking back tires. They are supposedly better for the ride. Those wheels are expensive though. Will probably trade off next year for another Deere...not for sure if I want to spend the extra money for the wheels but Deere will definitely be my first choice.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

13. Member
    I've had 3 Dixie Choppers and now 2 Kubota's.....ZD 21 and the later version of same. There's NO comparison between Zero and conventional..... same for gas vs diesel, IMOP. I'm trying to turn my place into all Kubota diesel.0922211906_HDR.jpg
    109198.jpg

14. Member
    OK I don't have a fancy yard. I have a farm, animals, crops and all that crap. I mow 5 acres of so called yard and clear the farm lane with a 6 foot snow blower.

So now let's get to the yard. It's grass and not what you smoke. First diesel or gas? You would think some one that uses lots of big machines would say diesel. That's your first mistake, but your free too make it. Smart people will buy a gas mower.

Traditional or zero turn. If you want to be the cool guy in the neighborhood get the zero turn. Yeah they will talk behind your back and laugh but you will think your cool. Just like the diesel guy thinks he's cool.

If you have a lot of trees,flower gardens tight turns and take more than an hour and most important no hills then maybe a zero turn. If you have tons of flat wide spaces then traditional, but you won't look cool.

Going through the woods making trails wanting to look super cool? Neither! You probably want a 4x4 utility tractor.

BTW you want to look super super cool. Mow your under 10 acre yard with a utility tractor and belly mower.

I never said anyone is really practical, thats why that invest in toys or diesel for no good reason.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    OK I don't have a fancy yard. I have a farm, animals, crops and all that crap. I mow 5 acres of so called yard and clear the farm lane with a 6 foot snow blower.

So now let's get to the yard. It's grass and not what you smoke. First diesel or gas? You would think some one that uses lots of big machines would say diesel. That's your first mistake, but your free too make it. Smart people will buy a gas mower.

Traditional or zero turn. If you want to be the cool guy in the neighborhood get the zero turn. Yeah they will talk behind your back and laugh but you will think your cool. Just like the diesel guy thinks he's cool.

If you have a lot of trees,flower gardens tight turns and take more than an hour and most important no hills then maybe a zero turn. If you have tons of flat wide spaces then traditional, but you won't look cool.

Going through the woods making trails wanting to look super cool? Neither! You probably want a 4x4 utility tractor.

BTW you want to look super super cool. Mow your under 10 acre yard with a utility tractor and belly mower.

I never said anyone is really practical, thats why that invest in toys or diesel for no good reason.
    Sir, I'm sorry, but, I guess you're strictly referring to the guy who's mowing his yard in the neighborhood. In that case, your words make sense. If not, then you literally have NO idea what you're taking about...

I deal with substantive farm operations every single year (hunt on their land) and have many of em over all these years. You won't find much gas, if any, on their property. I have lost count how many golf courses, literally all over the world, same......100% diesel, or very close.....

Diesel will operate, if maintained, for 3,000+ hours......gas you're VERY likely done in 1500.

Diesel provides considerably more power vs hp vs gas.....

Diesel is more fuel efficient......

A diesel can set up all winter and, if the battery is hot, she'll crank right up.....try that with gas, if you didn't treat it or drain the tank, good luck.....yes,even with corn free. Better stock up on carb kits.

As for your comments regarding zero turns, they're 3x, or more, faster when it comes to cutting per acre. Don't believe me, do some research......

I've had ZERO problems cutting on reasonable slopes, and if I couldn't then a conventional couldn't either.

One other thing, I can drive my way out of a potential "stuck" situation when my conventionals would have been buried.

Etc etc etc etc.

Btw, I appreciate your attempts at smartass sarcasm..... aren't you the witty one.....😉

16. Member
    Well your welcome to be wrong. Or in your case right with WARM southern temps. Most golf courses around me are and have been fully electric for years. Anyone in the north knows diesel is crap in the winter and expense for home use. Example it's $5.60 a gallon for off road if you can find it and only $4.09 for regular gas. Case closed.

17. Member
    Well your welcome to be wrong. Or in your case right with WARM southern temps. Most golf courses around me are and have been fully electric for years. Anyone in the north knows diesel is crap in the winter and expense for home use. Example it's $5.60 a gallon for off road if you can find it and only $4.09 for regular gas. Case closed.
    Aaaaaaaand you'd be DEAD wrong about that as well.....

I've stood on a LOT of golf courses in the NE and NOT a single one was primarily EV, in fact I've yet to see an EV mower in action on ANY of em.....this includes Congressional, Winged Foot, Ridgewood, all the way down to mom and pop spots (I won't call you a liar as they might be trying some out over the last year).

Biw, I have my own facilty in the mountains overlooking the Hudson River Valley 50 miles from the NY City. Never, EVER, had a single problem starting a diesel mower or tractor.....and yes, I've been up they're in both November and March when it was cold and snowy.....as much as 3' on the ground in late March.

Addendum: pic added so you'll know I'm not FOS...😉. I can find others where the snow is deeper if need be.....

0429221557.jpg
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 04-29-2022 at 04:11 PM.

18. Member
    Not sure what you do in TEXAS. But I kind of have a little experience. 20211204_111736.jpg

Currently raising 500 chickens with 100 turkeys and 200 more beef cattle coming next week.

19. Banned
    Depending on the grade of slope my only recommendation is get the tallest, widest drive tires possible. Tall to soak up any bumps, wide so it sticks to the turf and you're not crab walking the mower across a slope.

20. Member
    Not sure what you do in TEXAS. But I kind of have a little experience. 20211204_111736.jpg

Currently raising 500 chickens with 100 turkeys and 200 more beef cattle coming next week.
    And that makes you the all seeing and all being expert, because you raise chickens, etc? Enough that you can leave a smartass post denigrating people who don't think like you? The funny thing is you're FACTUALLY DEAD wrong and still think you're correct.... hehehe

Look, you're certainly 100% entitled to your opinion and free to express it.....i 100% believe that to the recesses of my soul. You're also free to be wrong and/or telegraph your own envy, jealousy, etc of others via your sarcastic post denigrating anyone who disagrees with you. However, at least get your facts straight...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast