Jack stands for tandem axle trailer

Hi guys,

I have to get new tires and my tire shop won’t change them directly off of the trailer so I will need to bring them the wheels. With that said, I need to place the boat/trailer on jack stands so I can get new tires. My question is, do I do one side both axles and then the other side or do I do the rear axle first (both sides) the front axle second.

It has been a pain to try to get tires for my set up. I have a Ranger trailer with 17” rims so the trailer came with GT passenger tires and a couple local tire shops said they won’t do it because of liability. Oh well. The shop I found said just bring the wheels. I guess out of site, out of mind.

Thanks for advice in advance,

Tom

2. Member
    When I got new Goodyear Endurance tires put on my Ranger trailer last spring, I took it to my local Discount Tire where I always get new trailer tires. They have a dedicated pull through area for trailers and two guys came out with two large hydraulic jacks and jacked up both sides of my trailer and put four 3-ton jack stands on each axle/tire and they worked together to remove the old tires from the trailer, take the old tires of the rims, put the new tires on the rims, and replace all four tires back on the trailer. I

I waited in my Tundra while they worked on the trailer and was in and out in less than 30-minutes so I'd assume that you could do something similar if you have enough heavy-duty jack stands if you need to remove your wheels to have new tires put on the wheels.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Don’t overthink it. One jack and 4 jack stands.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Don’t overthink it. One jack and 4 jack stands.
    This, it’s what I do, jack it up, one stand in front of wheels, one behind on each side. I have spring axles so I can jack up each side by putting jack under equalizer, not sure how with torsion axles. Ok
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    Duel axel. Place floor jack under the frame by the rear tire and jack up. You then can remove the 2 tires on that side and have replaced.