Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old4runner View Post
    If someone didn't know better they would think putting a drain plug in a boat would take hours and you would pull every muscle in your shoulder without Flo-Rite ...

Takes me less than 20 seconds to screw my manual plug in. It also makes me get down there and check the live well inlet/drain screens and general condition of the boat.
    Im not sure what you have for a boat but my drain plug is so far underneath its a pain in the a$$. Your drain plug might be accessible and if mine was, chances are I would have installed my flow-rite.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old4runner View Post
    If someone didn't know better they would think putting a drain plug in a boat would take hours and you would pull every muscle in your shoulder without Flo-Rite ...

Takes me less than 20 seconds to screw my manual plug in. It also makes me get down there and check the live well inlet/drain screens and general condition of the boat.
    The pins and plates in my spine make it difficult to get down there and very painful to get back up so to me its worth every penny.

I don't think you will convince this guy (4runner and others) on anything with the flow rite. He probable carries extra grocery bags with him. Think I saw him arguing with a stop sign the other day, LOL. I can still put a manual plug in but I just like the convenience of not having to do it. I really don't see why we have to have a reason for any of this. It is ok if I have an Ultrex on my boat, isn't it or do I need a reason for that.

4. Scraps
    Biggest thing I worry about reaching alllll the way underneath is damaging my PP brackets or outboard with my hard head after putting the plug in!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Biggest thing I worry about reaching alllll the way underneath is damaging my PP brackets or outboard with my hard head after putting the plug in!
    +1

6. Member
    Im still trying to figure out how a grocery bag ended up in the bilge! What else lives in that bilge????

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    The pins and plates in my spine make it difficult to get down there and very painful to get back up so to me its worth every penny.
    I doubt the doc recommends fishing , My dad is a quagmire of pins, plates and fused vertebrae (coal miner from Stickney WVA) and it was the fishing that aggravated it more than anything (once retired).

Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    Im not sure what you have for a boat but my drain plug is so far underneath its a pain in the a$$. Your drain plug might be accessible and if mine was, chances are I would have installed my flow-rite.
    Everything from a Z521, Z518 to a 21i to the 3 series Rangers. Like I mentioned in follow-up, being HWP is more important than anything and the boat ramp is not full of HWP people, nope sure isn't (I bet this thread isn't...lol)!!!

Im still trying to figure out how a grocery bag ended up in the bilge! What else lives in that bilge????
    After 40 years of fishing---------------
    Nothing would surprise me.

9. Member
    I'm trying to figure out why his bilge pump ran long enough to kill his battery, but the bilge was still full ?????? where does your pump send the water ? into the bilge ?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why his bilge pump ran long enough to kill his battery, but the bilge was still full ?????? where does your pump send the water ? into the bilge ?
    He left a chipmunk in his bilge compartment and he chewed the wires, therefore he will never buy a Rule bilge pump again, they should be chipmunk proofed.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    My first thought------ the boat was in the water.

12. Member
    Probably the cure for cancer in his.....😉

13. Member
    I haven’t figured out the reason yet, but mine is also clogged somehow. Been in the boat 6 months.. I have to pull all the batteries to get to it and see.

14. Member
    The issue with mine was that my hull is 1 3/4 thick so the holes that drain are barely exposed at best! So I’ve been collecting water for the past 6 months. It drains some.. and the bulge pump handles when it gets too high. I’m pulling it.. which I am not happy about.

15. Member
    I concur!
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL LO View Post
    I don't have the Flow rite but sounds like the bag would have plugged the drain , no matter what style you had in the boat ? jmho

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    After 40 years of fishing---------------
    Nothing would surprise me.
    I bet I could, but no way I’m going to.

I’ve done a lot of things in my life, and admitted to most, but no way I’m admitting it on a public forum what I put in my bilge, or how I got it there, but…….. I had no choice.

17. Member
    I love mine

I just installed one this season - beside going to lithium probably the single nicest upgrade I've made to my rig.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    I got one for Christmas a year 1/2 ago and installed it. Kept the o ring lubed. Then, 2 days ago, after s very heavy rain I noticed water trickling out of the bilge pump outlet and I could hear the bilge pump running (barely). Opened up the engine compartment and it was full of water.

I checked the flow rite and it was all the way out. I attempted sticking small metal rods into the opening in order to clean the debris blocking those little openings but to no avail. I wound up removing the flow rite from the transom. Booosh, water poured out. The cause?

A piece of a grocery store bag had gotten wrapped around the flow rite. The auto bilge pump ran until the battery was nearly dead. I realized when I installed it initially that it seemed pretty cheesy. I mean short of crawling into the bilge area, if something wraps up around that drain plug there’s no way to unclog it short of removing the entire assembly which also means breaking the rtv sealant I had it sealed with.

Just an FYI to all. I’m going back to the standard drain plug. I’m glad that was a Christmas present and not something I paid for out of pocket.
    Walmart stopped using plastic bags here so it might not ever happen again. I see some flaws in the remote plug's design but if it gets stopped up it surely isn't the plug's fault. If I lived closer I'd take it off your hands, so it won't do it to you again.

20. Member
    i use a 3ft. (or you can use a different length depending on your boat) 1/2 pvc pipe with a "T" fitting on one end and cut a slot in the other end to fit over the manual drain plug....don't have to get "down and dirty" anymore to insert or remove my drain plug...I did eventually put a small hose clamp over the slotted end to keep the slot from flexing when I had to use force to tighten or untighten the plug....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast