Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Banned
    If someone didn't know better they would think putting a drain plug in a boat would take hours and you would pull every muscle in your shoulder without Flo-Rite ...

Takes me less than 20 seconds to screw my manual plug in. It also makes me get down there and check the live well inlet/drain screens and general condition of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair B View Post
    I added one about 4 months ago to my boat, it works great. The biggest thing is lubing up the o-ring with Molykote 55 or Molykote 111, they are a silicone based grease, used on o-rings for scuba equipment . I got a small container of Molykote 111 off Amazon for $10, it make a huge difference in the way the drain plug operates.
    Wow man…thanks for that tip. Ordered a tube (which will last a lifetime) . That stuff is the bomb. I cleaned the plug/housing/Oring…applied some molykote…my flow rite has never slipped in to place with that little “click” easier.

Love the bbc for tips like these

Quote Originally Posted by old4runner View Post
    If someone didn't know better they would think putting a drain plug in a boat would take hours and you would pull every muscle in your shoulder without Flo-Rite ...

Takes me less than 20 seconds to screw my manual plug in. It also makes me get down there and check the live well inlet/drain screens and general condition of the boat.
    Just about every time this subject comes up, there are always pros and cons for it. If you like getting down on your knees on gravel, mud, or water, that's great.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Just about every time this subject comes up, there are always pros and cons for it. If you like getting down on your knees on gravel, mud, or water, that's great.
    Hehehe....or laying on the ground, in the dark, trying to get the plug in/out underneath/around the jackplate, then poppin' your noggin on the lower unit.....BIIIIIIIIG fun....broke me of the habit....hehehe

Hitting my head is the worst. I don't know why but since I put power poles on my boat, I can't hardly go near the rear of my boat without hitting my head.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post

No worries, paved at home and paved ramps here!!! I can squat and don't need to put knees on the ground.

0-2

I just installed one this year - gotta say I love it!
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

It's just about like anything else that's mechanical with moving parts. There is maintenance. It's easier for me to get on the creeper at home and lube, clean the plug than it is to get on my knees at the ramp. All boats are made differently. On some, the plug is a pretty good distance back under the transom, others maybe not so far. To each his own, but the remote plug works fine if maintained.

Know what you mean bhjr. On my Z521, the plug is so far under it you almost have to take a break for lunch putting the plug in..LOL. Wait til some of these guys get some age on them, you'll hear them change their attitude a lot........

10. Banned
    Age is not as big a deal as being HWP and active. We have a slight obesity issue in the country. I am (and look) old enough to get senior coffee at McDonalds without asking for the discount.

11. Member
    I have a trick I do when I put in or take out my manual drain plug. When I take my motor totter off I put it down on the ground and kneel on it. I Don't get my knee wet/dirty and it works better then you would think.

12. Member
    I have one going on second cable , the set up is cheap quality . I would pay 4 times the amout without question for better materials and construction.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

13. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    I can't find a single negative in having a remote drain plug. I love mine and never had a problem with it with the exception of a coangler not closing it until it clicked one time. An hour on the water and I noticed water in the bilge through the floor drain. Checked the remote, clicked it and ran the pump to clear the water. You couldn't do that on the water with an improperly seated manual drain plug.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    I have one going on second cable , the set up is cheap quality . I would pay 4 times the amout without question for better materials and construction.
    This 100000%. I have one. It’s broken and lying in the bilge. I have my factory, 20 yr old plug back in service until I can figure out a better way.

maybe a linear actuator, with a 50lb pull can get the job done. The down fall is the poor fit of the plug/o-ring, the cable, and the knob. Basically the entire thing is a POS.

Bending down, no problem !! Getting back UP, Major Problem !!! I've had 5 Rangers and have had the remote on 4 of them. I lube the "O" Ring every month or two and have had no issues !! I'll never be without one !!!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    This 100000%. I have one. It’s broken and lying in the bilge. I have my factory, 20 yr old plug back in service until I can figure out a better way.

maybe a linear actuator, with a 50lb pull can get the job done. The down fall is the poor fit of the plug/o-ring, the cable, and the knob. Basically the entire thing is a POS.
    I see many deficiencies in the engineering and choice of material but it will work most of the time. You (frequently) get what you pay for and I'm sure the manufacturer is making all the money he can with their choice of material. It could be better but it would cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I see many deficiencies in the engineering and choice of material but it will work most of the time. You (frequently) get what you pay for and I'm sure the manufacturer is making all the money he can with their choice of material. It could be better but it would cost more.
    Absolutely......Don't know why some of these guys don't make a better mousetrap. They seem to know all the negatives about it. Guess it's easier to complain about it though.

Old4runner.......Age doesn't make a difference. Are you crazy, take off the rose colored glasses. I'm 6 foot, 180 lbs, in very good shape for my age (78). Can I still get down to put a manual plug in, well yeah, but why?????????

18. Moderator
    Grocery store bags have blown many outboards, blocking water intake, boom.... would you blame the outboard manufacturer and go electric only? It's about the same logic, and it's silly.

I love my remote drain plug and would not be proud of removing it over a one-time blockage.

Paper graphs, flasher, and a hand steer trolling motor next? They're more reliable afterall...

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old4runner View Post

If someone didn't know better they would think grinding your own coffee, churning your own butter, and carrying your excrement with a bucket out to a hole in the ground would take hours, but it doesn't. I'm sure you are guilty of using at least a couple of the listed unnecessary technical advancements.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb Rig View Post
    I can't find a single negative in having a remote drain plug. I love mine and never had a problem with it with the exception of a coangler not closing it until it clicked one time. An hour on the water and I noticed water in the bilge through the floor drain. Checked the remote, clicked it and ran the pump to clear the water. You couldn't do that on the water with an improperly seated manual drain plug.
    The negatives are when you have issues with them, cable snapping, poor fit, poor seal etc. I did install one and needed some replacement parts, I could go either way on installing another one in a new boat.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast