206 with mercury racing

I have an opportunity to buy a 206 that has been re-powered with a 2020 mercury 250 R. Boat itself needs a little care but seems overall ok. I’m very interested in it because of the repower, but in reading in seems that a 250R may actually be a bad fit for this boat due to the Sportmaster lower unit actually slowing the boat down. Does anyone have any experience with these motors ? Thanks

2. Member
    I’d drive it and see how it runs

3. Member
    Trying to arrange. Dealer has been a bit hesitant to offer a lake test up front, wants me to pay first. I’m not willing to do that with my current understanding of potential issues with the motor. Working on it with them now though.

4. Member
    The new 4 strokes have a ton of torque to get that 206 up and moving. The 206 is not a not a fast hull so if your looking for a rocket it’s the wrong sled. With the right prop it should still run 68-72.

5. Member
    I agree, and I’m not looking for a huge amount of top in speed. From what I understand, though, that racing engine has a different lower unit which can actually be terrible for performance in a slower hole like this one. May decrease the lift, decrease hole shot, etc.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    The new 4 strokes have a ton of torque to get that 206 up and moving. The 206 is not a not a fast hull so if your looking for a rocket it’s the wrong sled. With the right prop it should still run 68-72.
    I am having trouble propping my 206. Could you give me some hints?

Quote Originally Posted by bmurtlow1 View Post
    I am having trouble propping my 206. Could you give me some hints?
    Really depends what motor you running?

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

8. Member
    For the OP and the others talking 206 performance......I have a 2004 206 DC with a 2015 250 Pro XS I get my best overall performance from a 25P Bravo it increased my hole shot a lot and increased my top end speed 2 or 3 mph. I had been running a 25P Tempest Plus before that. If I have a full gas tank and full live well I still have a slow hole shot if the live well is empty good hole shot, empty well and lower fuel very good hole shot so my weight is right on the edge performance wise. I am actually considering Lithium batteries to lower the transom weights to hopfully eliminate that .

That said my top end speed is still more like 63 or 64 with my normal full fishing / gear load. When I had the motor installed the service guys (two of them) that took it out for a test drive told me they had it up to a GPS speed of 74 that was totally empty, no gear other than life jackets, and safety equipment. They showed me their saved snapshot of the GPS speed, so I am loosing like 10 to 12 mph by loading up the boat with gear?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Really depends what motor you running?
    2001 206 with a 2009 evinrude 250 etec gen 1 - currently running a raker 2 26p at 5800rpm getting around 20-25psi water pressure and 64 is top speed at wot with a good amount of trim. I have read that a tempest would be good also was talking to a prop shop and they said an original raker 1 that is tuned will be the best prop. Thank you for any insight.

Can't help with your RUDE But my 2003 206 XB with a Croix worked 26 TEMP+ best speed is 75 gps near red line and conditions were perfect and about 65 deg.f

Motor height is set at 2.75" below

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabad View Post
    Trying to arrange. Dealer has been a bit hesitant to offer a lake test up front, wants me to pay first. I’m not willing to do that with my current understanding of potential issues with the motor. Working on it with them now though.
    I would never pay without an on-the-water test first!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabad View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy a 206 that has been re-powered with a 2020 mercury 250 R. Boat itself needs a little care but seems overall ok. I’m very interested in it because of the repower, but in reading in seems that a 250R may actually be a bad fit for this boat due to the Sportmaster lower unit actually slowing the boat down. Does anyone have any experience with these motors ? Thanks
    had a 206 with a Merc 250. 26p tempest worked by Steve. 10” Hydrodynamics jack plate.
    74 was top speed.
    As for that sports master lower unit on the new four stroke,,, sell it on Allison/Bullet or scream and fly. Someone will trade you a torque master with lots of boot !

13. Member
    I ran into the same problem on a 22' Champion. I was willing to trade a Sportmaster for a Torgue master on the Scream and Fly website. Didn't take long at all to find someone who was interested in trading. Not sure if this would be something you would consider. Made a world of difference to my boat.

14. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Close friend traded in his Sportmaster and got Torquemaster for his XB on his 198. World of improvement!!

15. Member
    I have a 21SX which is a little different beast but shares the same hull as the 206. The difference between the bulleted nosecone and the non bulleted was very noticeable. My boat came with an HPDI which was bulleted and it struggled to get any top end. Sold that to a fast boat guy and bought an OX66 Lower and gained like 4 mphs at top and better hole shot. What I was told is that the bulleted nose cones are great for high speed, high prop height boats but that on heavier hulls like our champs they tend to be over efficient and let too much clean water to the prop causing the motor to not really be able to spin up to where it needs to be.

16. Member
    Well, I did get to lake test it and it actually performed great as is. Lake was really tough so I can’t give true top end numbers but it had plenty good enough hole shot to satisfy me and I got it going as fast as I wanted to given the conditions, though boat was admittedly empty and light.
    I will be getting the boat. I may still trade out the lower as mentioned above, but it doesn’t look like it will need to be a priority. Plan to really get it some TLC on the glass, wiring, etc. then see if I feel the need to trade out the lower.

17. Member
    Congrats! Post up some pics in a new thread when you get it home!!!!

18. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Congrats!!!!!