Possible fishing trip Mud Bay, Grenadier/Fox Islands

I have been extended an invite to go up for a weekend to fish this area, and I hoping that some of our member have some experience in this area, since the only time I have gone to Mud bay was to get parts at Martin's Marina for my Mercury. It would be mid July launching of the ramp at Humphrey Rd, and I was thinking of fishing of Grenadier/Fox islands and the shoreline North of them. I would be running my 21' Viper Cobra Merc 225 EFI, which I think should be OK for the area.
    Thank you to everyone in advance.

Launching out of there is great to access that general area. Martin’s ramp is fine and easily accessible. I think it was still a $5 fee last year, and there’s an honor box at the ramp. Definitely use your tilt/trim in the immediate area of the marina, because that it’s pretty shallow (at least it’s mud, hence Mud Bay, and not a lot of rock). Just watch the wind - even a 15 mph hr wind with any west in it can make that area rough. Even in July, I still look both shallow and deep. If out around 20 ft and deeper, I won’t fish until I see them on sonar. It’s a big area with a lot of structure and rock piles, so those fish move a lot!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runsome View Post
    Launching out of there is great to access that general area. Martin’s ramp is fine and easily accessible. I think it was still a $5 fee last year, and there’s an honor box at the ramp. Definitely use your tilt/trim in the immediate area of the marina, because that it’s pretty shallow (at least it’s mud, hence Mud Bay, and not a lot of rock). Just watch the wind - even a 15 mph hr wind with any west in it can make that area rough. Even in July, I still look both shallow and deep. If out around 20 ft and deeper, I won’t fish until I see them on sonar. It’s a big area with a lot of structure and rock piles, so those fish move a lot!
    Runsome,
    Thank you for your info. BTW, welcome to BBC.

I was led to believe that the Martin's Pier II ramp on Humphrey Rd is much better than the Snug Harbor ramp or Martin's shop, which being closer to the outlet figured would be a tad deeper.
    I am sure the 15 mph wind making things rough reference must be fishing around the Grenadier/Fox islands, which are exposed to the Big lake. I can tell you by experience, since I live very close to the South shore, that the only time Ontario didn't feel rough was when I was running charter on my Sea Ray.
    You are right about a lot of structure, mostly rock bottom and piles, which seem very prominent between the islands and Fox to main land. I am used to having to fish with rock piles up in the River, but there I have the main channel as a safe run, unless ships are coming through.

What baits did you find most productive?

Digthemup— Thanks! For baits - lots of the typical smallmouth stuff mostly depending on depth. Dropshot, of course, as well as jerkbaits, Ned rig, etc. But I especially love a tube in that area - it’s such a versatile bait that they just don’t see as much these days, I suspect.

5. Member
    Digthemup— Thanks! For baits - lots of the typical smallmouth stuff mostly depending on depth. Dropshot, of course, as well as jerkbaits, Ned rig, etc. But I especially love a tube in that area - it’s such a versatile bait that they just don’t see as much these days, I suspect.
    Runsome

You and I must be the odd balls cause I still use tubes, especially in sharp drops that have mostly rock face composition. I don't do drop shot since it is way slow for my style of fishing, but I crank the points any time I see them hanging there. Also, I use Carolina rig, and at times I weigh it with a creature jig so to have 2 baits working.

BTW, I believe that you will enjoy this forum since everyone is really positively involved, especially our moderator is great wealth of info.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Runsome

You and I must be the odd balls cause I still use tubes, especially in sharp drops that have mostly rock face composition. I don't do drop shot since it is way slow for my style of fishing, but I crank the points any time I see them hanging there. Also, I use Carolina rig, and at times I weigh it with a creature jig so to have 2 baits working.

BTW, I believe that you will enjoy this forum since everyone is really positively involved, especially our moderator is great wealth of info.
    Great - I need all the help I can get LOL. I also like a tube because you can launch it and show the bait to the fish from a good distance away.

7. Member
    Great - I need all the help I can get LOL. I also like a tube because you can launch it and show the bait to the fish from a good distance away.
    Very good observation point especially if using the small size ones with light weights.

8. Member
    You can also run about 10 minutes by vehicle if the wind is blowing and launch out of the Three Mile Bay launch, small launch, do not power load there. You can go down road a few more minutes and launch out of the Chaumont launch as well.

If the wind allows you can run out to either of the Gallo islands or Stoney

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcuts9 View Post
    You can also run about 10 minutes by vehicle if the wind is blowing and launch out of the Three Mile Bay launch, small launch, do not power load there. You can go down road a few more minutes and launch out of the Chaumont launch as well.

If the wind allows you can run out to either of the Galloo islands or Stony
    You are absolutely right about the launch at Three Mile Bay being small, since I can tell you that you won't be able to launch a 21' bass boat with a 10" JP on a tandem. I passed up the cottage right across the ramp that somebody a know sold last yr. I know the ramp in Chaumont at the marina and the public. Unless there isn't enough wind to blow away a fart, I would not run out to the Galloo or Stony islands from Chaumont Bay or especially Mud Bay. Lake Ontario gets really mean even with a small West breeze, since I live on the South shore of it, and been on it in 10' waves when I had my big Sea Ray. I used to set my autopilot coordinates just East of Main Duck island on my way up to the Cape coming out of Sodus Bay.