Filling oil reservoir issues on a 2017 225 Mercury Pro XS Optimax

Hey now !! I don't have the serial number to the motor ( I don't think it's necessary for this common problem I think a lot of people have. )
    Looking to see if anyone has issues with oil reservoir very slow to fill due to not having a vent unless you unscrew the oil intake on the other side of the tank, which can’t be the right way to put oil in a the tank. Is anyone unscrewing the cap to the small oil tank on the motor itself for venting purposes ? I feel like that's an ok way for a quick fix as long as the cap is put back on tight. I would think there is a better fix for this issue, but if that's it - it is what it is !
    I appreciate any help on this.

2. Member
    From the FAQ questions at the top of the forum page for future reference....

Click on this >>>>> How to BLEED the ENGINE MOUNTED OIL TANK when AIR IS PRESENT

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Potomacbass View Post
    ( I don't think it's necessary for this common problem I think a lot of people have. )
    Just an FYI- it's REQUIRED when posting. See the Forum Announcements for what is required/acceptable in this forum.

You should not have to bleed the air from the engine mounted oil tank constantly. The proper way to bleed aid is described in the following link (from the FAQ Section at the top of the Forum):

Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you for your information, much appreciated.