St Lawrence River Opening Day (June 15th)

Any of you plan on fishing opening day up on the St. Lawrence? Generally speaking, what stage are they usually in that time of June? Any chance they could be shallow. Thinking of heading up for a few days. Thanks!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul40269 View Post
    Any of you plan on fishing opening day up on the St. Lawrence? Generally speaking, what stage are they usually in that time of June? Any chance they could be shallow. Thinking of heading up for a few days. Thanks!
    It all depends on water temps and weather, which will affect spawning stages, so there is a good probability that you may find them in shallow with adjacent drop off near, especially in gravelly bottom areas. I would look for flats with sparse boulders and weeds near a drop off.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paul40269 View Post
    way this weather going will be spawning late IMO

4. Member
    Been out in Cayuga and it's trash.
    Definitely not a good start

I’m pretty sure there will be fish shallow by then. But I totally agree, this is shaping up to be a later spawn. And lots of fish up there spawn fairly deep any way.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    way this weather going will be spawning late IMO
    Completely agree with your assessment based on past yrs with similar weather patterns as we are currently seen. Yrs like this, I remember seen bass on beds in Blind Bay very late June and early July.
    I hope you didn't get any issues in the last snow storm that came through your area.

7. Member
    I have a question about then opening dates. I used the Ontario interactive site and when you choose anywhere in the St. Lawrence it says fish management zones 20,18. Is this saying its both zones? To my understanding, NY opens 3rd sat. in June, Canada zone 20 is 1st Saturday in July and then zone 18 is 3rd Saturday in June?
    2020 Phoenix 920
    Merc 4banger
    East TN

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Completely agree with your assessment based on past yrs with similar weather patterns as we are currently seen. Yrs like this, I remember seen bass on beds in Blind Bay very late June and early July.
    I hope you didn't get any issues in the last snow storm that came through your area.
    we lost power for 3 days no heat electric etc.. business was closed for 3 days had my southern customers texting me why is nothing shipping and why does out phones not work they had no clue told them we got 12 inches of heavy wet snow and over 1000 people in our area are without heat electric phones etc. they were shocked.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos285proxl View Post
    I have a question about then opening dates. I used the Ontario interactive site and when you choose anywhere in the St. Lawrence it says fish management zones 20,18. Is this saying its both zones? To my understanding, NY opens 3rd sat. in June, Canada zone 20 is 1st Saturday in July and then zone 18 is 3rd Saturday in June?
    bass opener is June 15th now statewide ( NY ) its a Wednesday this year.

Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    bass opener is June 15th now statewide ( NY ) its a Wednesday this year.
    K&K - so am I right that every year going forward, it’s always 6/15? That would help if true to remember exactly what day.
    And Canada is now July 1.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runsome View Post
    K&K - so am I right that every year going forward, it’s always 6/15? That would help if true to remember exactly what day.
    You would think that it would make sense to establish a continuum on a season is set, but I am sure DEC will mud things up once someone in charge will get a tingle in their hemorrhoids coming up with a new set of dates.
    When I was in the trucking business we had a saying ' Remember, they write their laws in pencil and we right the check for the fines in pen.'

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Runsome View Post
    yes june 15th no matter what day falls on.