Trying To Understand Canada’s Early Season C&R Rules

Hi. I’m trying to understand the Canadian Early Season C&R rules - specifically where you can fish vs. what is off-limits. I know the boundary line is basically drawn at the easternmost tips of Howe and Wolfe Islands. My confusion is exactly which side of that line is open until 5/10, and which side is off-limits. The regulation says Zone-wide seasons and limits apply to all waters in the Zone, except for certain exceptions such as Waterbody Exceptions. Then under Waterbody Exceptions, it says all waters of Lake Ontario “excluding the St. Lawrence River (waters lying was at of a line drawn between Bishops Point and the easternmost tips of Howe and Wolfe Islands.” IF I’m reading this right, then the lake and waters west of the line are off-limits, and the river east of the line is open to C&R until 5/10. Can anyone tell me if that’s correct, or do I have it backwards after reading this regulation too many times to count LOL. Thanks!

2. Member
    Not sure if you know about Travis Manson/Smallmouth Crush podcast, but he was up there last week fishing Lake Ontario. Sounded like the lake is open til May 10th. Not sure if that answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by paul40269 View Post
    Not sure if you know about Travis Manson/Smallmouth Crush podcast, but he was up there last week fishing Lake Ontario. Sounded like the lake is open til May 10th. Not sure if that answers your question.
    Thanks! So maybe I am reading it wrong.

4. Member
    Early season, Manson usually fishes up in the Akwasane reservation as he is good friends with the guy that owns Gajo baits. The only people who are able to launch in that area are the tribe members and guests of those members. In that section of river there is a catch and release season since they do not follow Canadian or US regulations. I would suggest doing more research and possibly even calling before you assume it’s fair game. As far as I know, catch and release is off limits on the river in that Canadian zone and US waters
    Last edited by ECobb91; 04-27-2022 at 05:38 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

It’s definitely not off limits per the revisions made last years for this Zone (FMZ Zone 20). The changes allow for an early season C&R until May 10th and then all bass fishing is off limits until July 1. The issue is just whether any part of the river/lake is nonetheless off limits even during this early season. That’s the part I still need to figure out for sure. I definitely agree with calling if I can find someone who can answer.

6. Member
    I didn’t know they changed it. That’s good to know, from what I’ve always understood it it’s Zone 18 is inland lakes. Zone 20 is the Lake Ontario basin and St Lawrence. That exception is definitely worded weird but I’d guess it follows the general rules in that case.
    1995 Ranger 481v

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I didn’t know they changed it. That’s good to know, from what I’ve always understood it it’s Zone 18 is inland lakes. Zone 20 is the Lake Ontario basin and St Lawrence. That exception is definitely worded weird but I’d guess it follows the general rules in that case.
    Yeah after reading the regulation again for at least the 10th time, I think you’re right. Thanks!

8. Member
    They definitely didn’t make it easy
    1995 Ranger 481v

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    They definitely didn’t make it easy
    Wait, do you know of any regulation that the DEC is involved in making anything understandable and easier to work with?