Anyone running Active Target on Carbon units? Wondering how well it works

2. Member
    At least 10 posts with the same title! LOL. It works fine on a Carbon
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    I use a 12" carbon and works fantastic.

4. Member
    I think the number 1 reason Lowrance is closing out the Carbons (and seemingly in a hurry) is due to the fact they work so well with Active Target. So much so it's affecting sales of the MUCH more expensive LIVE units. I looked at em side my side and the differences were NOT readily apparent to me.....at least when it came to the image presented. I bought 2 Carbons via BPS because of this.....

However, I'm FAR from an expert. I'm sure, on paper, the Live units are superior, but, 3x better?

5. Member
    I'm pretty sure carbon and live use the same display screen. Which is why you didn't see a difference.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbmitch View Post
    I'm pretty sure carbon and live use the same display screen. Which is why you didn't see a difference.
    Makes perfect sense Jb.....sure couldn't see any difference, other than the price tag.....😉

The module is what does all the processing so the image you get won't be different between the Carbon and the Live.
    Both units have 1280 x 800 screen resolution and the same 10 Hz refresh rate.
    The Carbon actually has a a brighter screen at >1400 Nits where as the Live is at >1200 Nits
    The Live has an 80 degree viewing angle where as the viewing angle for the Carbon is 88 degrees which I'm not quite sure how much of a perceived difference that makes.
    united in the pursuit of bass.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCPT View Post
    The module is what does all the processing so the image you get won't be different between the Carbon and the Live.
    Both units have 1280 x 800 screen resolution and the same 10 Hz refresh rate.
    The Carbon actually has a a brighter screen at >1400 Nits where as the Live is at >1200 Nits
    The Live has an 80 degree viewing angle where as the viewing angle for the Carbon is 88 degrees which I'm not quite sure how much of a perceived difference that makes.
    Processor must be faster on the Live, etc.....or different/effective, etc. However, I played with em both and there certainly wasn't anything that I saw that was of any consequence to me. Again, I'm no expert....

9. Member
    You will see the difference in a year or two when they quit updating the Carbon units and the software eventually catches up and utilizes the peak performance of the transducer. Along with the speed of the processor will eventually be necessary to run everything at peak performance. Kind of like having a Gen3 right now, and the cycle will never end lol!
    Last edited by Craigjc00; 04-28-2022 at 05:19 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    You will see the difference in a year or two when they quit updating the Carbon units and the software eventually catches up and utilizes the peak performance of the transducer. Along with the speed of the processor will eventually be necessary to run everything at peak performance. Kind of like having a Gen3 right now, and the cycle will never end lol!
    That's VERY true and an excellent point! Hehehe
    ....it is a racket isn't it....quit updating in order to OUTdate and cash in on the latest, greatest....can't blame em.

However, the human eye can only process and discern to a certain level. If the image presented is of high enough quality so as to allow the brain to quickly "analyze, process, and determine" then, IMOP, all the updates in the world are not of that much true consequence. If I can see the image of the fish for $800 just as clearly and quickly (or very, very close) as $2200+ then "why?"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    That's VERY true and an excellent point! Hehehe
    ....it is a racket isn't it....quit updating in order to OUTdate and cash in on the latest, greatest....can't blame em.

However, the human eye can only process and discern to a certain level. If the image presented is of high enough quality so as to allow the brain to quickly "analyze, process, and determine" then, IMOP, all the updates in the world are not of that much true consequence. If I can see the image of the fish for $800 just as clearly and quickly (or very, very close) as $2200+ then "why?"

Well now that you put it like that you have me questioning my spending habits! Lol!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    Well now that you put it like that you have me questioning my spending habits! Lol!
    My brother, since I came out of a 25 year "pause" from serious fishing, well, I ask myself that very same question....constantly.....hehehe. I mean, how many bloody frigging plastic frogs do I need?? 😉

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofish2day View Post
    I use a 12" carbon and works fantastic.
    Works great! Love my Carbons.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons