Thread: Beef short ribs

Beef short ribs

I want to do these on the smoker. What quantity should I plan per person?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    I would do 1# per person. I've found there is significant shrinkage.

As Esox stated, a pound per person if they’re the small short ribs or riblets. For Dino bone beef ribs I figure 1 rib for the ladies, two for the guys. There’s a pound or more on each one. Brisket on a stick.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    Beef ribs.jpg
    I love me some smoked beef ribs, these are some I done a few weeks ago. This was enough for a 2 person meal 2 times with side dishes to compliment the ribs. I love brisket, but will walk right past it to get good beef ribs.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    Beef ribs.jpg
    I love me some smoked beef ribs, these are some I done a few weeks ago. This was enough for a 2 person meal 2 times with side dishes to compliment the ribs. I love brisket, but will walk right past it to get good beef ribs.
    Those ribs look fabulous! I haven't tried smoking them yet because I haven't been able to find any that are like those. The stores near me sell them as bones without the big piece of meat attached.

Is there a name for that cut that I should ask about?

6. Member
    Those pictured are beef short ribs, I got the butcher at our local Whole Foods cut them for me, I really like the dino ribs which are much larger and meatier. The beef short ribs don't look like they have meat that thick on them before cooking, but during the smoking process they shrink up on the bone and the meat expands to reveal just what you see in the picture. Those ribs were only a little over a inch thick maybe (1-1/4") before smoking for 4 hrs then cooking for 8 more for a total of 12 hrs at 225 degrees.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    Those pictured are beef short ribs, I got the butcher at our local Whole Foods cut them for me, I really like the dino ribs which are much larger and meatier. The beef short ribs don't look like they have meat that thick on them before cooking, but during the smoking process they shrink up on the bone and the meat expands to reveal just what you see in the picture. Those ribs were only a little over a inch thick maybe (1-1/4") before smoking for 4 hrs then cooking for 8 more for a total of 12 hrs at 225 degrees.
    Thanks. When you cook them do you put the whole slab on intact or do you cut them first?

8. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Thanks. When you cook them do you put the whole slab on intact or do you cut them first?
    Smoke the whole 3 to 4 bone plate. Cut them after done. Be sure to leave the membrane on the backside. Otherwise they will fall apart.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66