Ranger insulated lids

Was boat shopping yesterday and I was looking at some of the Ranger 178's the dealer had. There were no 188p's to be found. It was hot here in NC yesterday and every lid on the three 178's I looked at the insulation was falling off. Not sure if this was heat related or if they just needed to be re-stuck. I see the insulated lids as a big plus but not if they can't install them correctly.

2. Member
    I know a lot of the guys in the ranger aluminum group on facebook have how to's about it, to just do it yourself or fix it. I see a lot of posts about it pop up. I still need to do it to mine. My 2017 198p came with nothing. I lift all my lids when I get home but when I am out camping it does get annoying if the weather is just right. With that said I don't ever have anything get wet from condensation. It's not that bad. I would think you could just use some better tape and re stick them. It's crazy you would have to do anything to a brand new boat.
    2017 Ranger 198p w/ Merc150 4stroke

3. Member
    My 2021 RT198P has the factory insulation under the lids. And yes if they are allowed to get wet like from a rain storm the insulation will come unattached. Once you get the boat in a dry area, open the lids and dry it out some, you can re-stick the insulation and it will re-adhere. I guess the adhesive is some sort of contact cement or similar.

Anyway, my boat is garaged and it is not a recurring issue for me. But I have had the boat at the dealer where they let it get wet and the insulation had come unattached.

You would think there would be a more durable solution.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons