In Ear Protection

Anyone use electronic in the ear hearing protection, earbud type protection? I have talked to some people at the local indoor range that love them and then half seem to hate them, say they are worthless. I normally double up with earplugs then over the ear protection also but would like something smaller than the big ear muffs that get in the way shooting AR’s and shotguns. I just don’t want to waste money and with all of the very mixed reviews not sure which is correct about them.
    Last edited by C130; 04-28-2022 at 07:34 AM.

2. Member
    Short answer is I'm not a fan. Some years ago I laid out major funds for custom fit earbud electronics and was disappointed form the start. From then on I went back to my compact electronic muffs. They don't interfere no matter what I'm shooting. The only time I use something more is when we are shooting the 50s. I then use some foam plugs in addition to the muffs. I honestly don't know of anyone around here that uses the electronic buds anymore.

My take is if you are inside you still need over ears, so I don't see the point. Outside they are fine

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    My take is if you are inside you still need over ears, so I don't see the point. Outside they are fine
    That’s what I’ve been told by several then others have told me they are incredible, don’t need anything else. I think over the ear is hard to beat, I’ll probably just try a pair of the thinner ones which I think will be fine with AR’s or shotguns.

5. Member
    I got some custom inserts, not electronic, premearhearing.com. I'm sure there is probably someone near you that does the silicon insta-mold protection.

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    I got some custom inserts, not electronic, premearhearing.com. I'm sure there is probably someone near you that does the silicon insta-mold protection.
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

7. Member
    Good on you for doing this... I am about 30 years too late. One of my big regrets was not protecting my hearing. Huh??
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"