Reed valves, gaskets, etc

OG883468 serial num

this is for a 1999 merc 175 efi

having issues with motor bogging down when trailering or when taking off to get on plane. Every once in a while it will miss when on plane but generally I have a full bank of power once on plane.

I did have two head gaskets replaced recently. That seemed to help initially and the motor is idling a lot betrrr now but seems to idle a little fast

could it be my fuel mixture?
    eeed valves?
    other gaskets?

I want to try to DIY this project to save $$ so I can get back in the water. Overall it runs great but I a long run worries me a bit.

any suggestions are helpful and appreciated.

2. Member
    Do a full link n synch procedure first to verify everything is where it should be. Check your sensors by the book, easy to do. Once you know everything's setup right then you can troubleshoot.

3. Member
    +1^^^^^^^ EVERYTHING , full trigger movement/ timming advance, fuel psi , what boat what prop and pitch
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    +1^^^^^^^ EVERYTHING , full trigger movement/ timming advance, fuel psi , what boat what prop and pitch

its on a 1999 ranger r81 sport. I’ll check prop but think it’s a 25 3blade quicksilver

I’m probably over my head with this. I don’t have any testers or programmers to see current levels.

super hard to find a mechanic that will test everything all at once and just fix instead of just patching here and there.

5. Member
    ^^^^^^^^ i understand completely,,,,, pull fuel filter off dump it in jar look for brown particles report back possible fuel line degraded restricting fuel flow to vst
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Thank you...I will check that out.....any ideas what would increase pee stream velocity? I replace foot oil and water pump yearly, but it takes this motor a long time to start peeing and its not a super strong stream, but I don't know maybe thats ok??

7. Member
    The pee stream comes from the thermostats, so no pee until they open at around 143 degrees, depending on water temp can take up to a few minutes. You can check the thermostats to make sure they are no clogged up too. If your water pump/impeller hasn’t been changed in the last year, would be worth doing.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    Oh wow...this is great to know.....yes had it changed in january....that makes sense....water temp here is around 60s

9. BBC SPONSOR
    We have reeds and stuffers,gaskets for your motor...the metal reeds chip and break often,it's a good idea to change to composite.Also,check your fuel pressure at idle,should be 36=39 lbs,if the regulator screen gets dirty it will raise injector pressure at idle and lower power,call if you need help,Chris

10. Member
    Thank you....that is great info....