James was stingy with me Saturday

Got on the water about 11 am to fish outgoing tide. Caught 3 decent fish 2.5 - 3 lbs and 10 or so dinks. Hit a few main River spots and caught the 3 better fish. Ran into a creek and only caught 1 dink. Went back to main River and caught the remaining dinks. I guess post spawn conditions and a summer like afternoon made it tough.
    that, or I just stunk it up.
    Actually, worst day there in last 2 years for me

2. Member
    If that was your worst day in 2 years, I’m not sure if ur bragging or complaining?
    You could have done a lot worse.

Going tomorrow, spoke to a couple of guys that only fish the James, they said there are still a lot of fish that have not spawned yet.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    If that was your worst day in 2 years, I’m not sure if ur bragging or complaining?
    You could have done a lot worse.
    I have caught fewer fish, but just have not caught that many 12–13 inch fish in some time. Have not fished a tournament in almost 15 years, so I plan my tidal trips around the tide and conditions. That In itself improves the odds.

5. Member
    had 16.15 lbs did not get a check in the CATT series saturday, and I would say there still lots of fish that have not spawned, it is very usual to see this. lots of 12" fish means the river is healthy and that is good.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

6. Member
    I understand that bass will be in all three phases from March through June in VA. Mother Nature does this on purpose. Although you have stragglers, the spawn will typically come in waves in different areas on a body of water and then the process repeats itself.
    You may find a female on a bed today, come back a few days later and the bed is empty. Come back a week later and you may find a new female on the same bed.
    A week can make a big difference. 30 minutes can make a difference as well, especially on tidal waters.
    As far as tournaments go, there are some guys that spend enough time on the water prior to a T that they know the stage to fish, there are some that are just way better fishermen, and some that just lucked up and happened to be at the right place at the right time.

7. Member
    The first wave came in during the BASS open in mid April. there will be another one coming with the full moon very soon. then come late May early June there may be the last bit. I have seen them with bloody tails up on the flat at Herron Creek in June after a full moon. For the most part, they will be done with the turn of the calendar to June. this week, the tides are running super high each day, NE wind each day and a system off the coast has pushed it up. I believe this a good thing for the spawn, mainly because these fish are not getting caught much this week, high water makes that difficult most times. Last saturday in the CATT tourney we didn't not catch a fish with a bloody tail, but caught 2 dozen males shallow and peeing everywhere when they were caught. So, next week will be another wave. my 2 cents
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045