Intermittent peeing at temp—normal, or thermostat/pump issue?

90’s mariner 25hp 2 stroke serial 0G207655. My understanding is it has a thermostat, it sputters water for a bit on startup and then starts peeing as it warms up. At wide open throttle or near it, the pee stream is VERY strong, but it is intermittent, ie it pees, then shuts off, pees then shuts off, etc. It seems like its on a regular cadence as if it was repeatedly filling a reservoir and draining it— not sure if that’s clear, but it seems like a very regular timing of when it’s peeing and not being. It’s regular enough that I suspect it is by design, but I’ve never owned an engine with a thermostat like this, so this is a bit foreign to me either way. Is this intermittent peeing even when warmed up normal? Or should I get this checked out?
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 04-25-2022 at 05:38 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I believe that one was thermostatically controlled on the telltale- so it would come and go.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks, appreciate it. I have always used the telltale stream as an indicator of cooling working properly. Given this is less predictable, is there any way to tell if the engine is getting water, short of installing a water pressure guage?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I believe that one was thermostatically controlled on the telltale- so it would come and go.
    it is , watch for mist of water out of exhaust ports also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................