Spinnerbait rod build

I have someone asking me to build them a spinnerbait rod for 1/2 - 1 oz. spinnerbaits for open water fishing. In your "expert" opinion, should I go with a MH/F or MH/XF rod? I am leaning towards the XF but would like to hear the experts advice please.

2. Member
    Spinnerbait can be used on almost any action rod. There are several that will recommend a Med or MH/Moderate to Moderate Fast glass rod. If you are going graphite then I would stick to MH/F. To me an XF doesn't have enough forgiveness for hooksets with a spinnerbait, and could lead to a rod failure.

3. Member
    For me I'd never use an XF blank for spinnerbaits. I honestly only think that XF is good for dropshot and jerkbaits. MH Moderate Fast or Fast or even H Moderate is where I'd be at especially given the weights. Like I throw 1 oz Ledgebusters on a Moderate flippin stick.

Few blanks I'd recommend...Hydra Ng FL4 (cut to 7')...Rod Geeks SG79HM (cut to 7'), B276HMH (cut to 7')...Thrasher BSC7805 (cut to 7')...NFC Delta Hybrid Zentron CB 7806...Phenix X11

All are good spinnerbait blanks. I'd lean towards the Hydra or the Thrasher myself but the NFC Zentron would work great too, I threw spinnerbaits on it all last year mostly 3/8 and 1/2 though haven't thrown anything heavier on that one.

4. Member
    the NFC Zentron rods are great for this, I just built two for a friend I built a 705 its moderate / medium Heavy 1/4 to 1 oz and a 706 its Moderate / Heavy 3/8 to 2 oz the 2 oz rating on the 706 is a bit deceiving I am sure it would handle that but its not a broom stick like the 2 oz rating may indicate. He throws heavier chatter baits like 3/4 oz on the 706 and feels this is a great rod for this use.

5. Member
    The St. Croix Mojo Bass using a SCII blank I used a few years ago had all the power you would want for 1 oz. spinnerbaits, a SCV in the same power and length was not as powerful, but would be ok at 1 oz. Myself I would buy the RODgeeks 2 carbon bass which is the same blank the Mojo had and be able to throw a swimbait up to 1 1/2 oz. maybe with it also. The B270MHF, haven't used the Bass 4 series to see if the power is more like the SCV, or the Bass 2 mentioned above.

6. Member
    Any 7 to 7 1/2 foot heavy mod fast composite blank

No to the xf I’d go for a medium for both. I like a heavier rod for a better hookset.

8. Member
    Thank you for all the replies. Well, I guess that rules out the XF as that is the consensus here. Now to take the rest of the info here and digest that.

Heavy mod-fast is where I'd go if it were me. As usual, willwork has the recommendations that I'd go with. I've *personally* used the RodGeeks SG79HM (cut to 7') and Phenix X11 he mentions, and of those the RodGeeks is the one I'd go with for 1/2-1 oz baits. If he's really not throwing anything under half ounce, those baits are going to be a touch too heavy for the X11.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360