Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    By no means am I saying the 26p prop is perfect, my point is that the ex-115hp with that prop would push this boat to 56-58mph. The replacement 115hp only gets 28-31mph.

2. Member
    Of the 3 pictures I just posted, the first is my linkage with zero throttle.

The middle picture is my spark advance lever at WOT.

The last picture is my carb linkage at WOT. The area where my finger is at is me pulling the linkage down until the carbs appear to be at WOT.

This is what seems way off to me. The spark advance lever is maxed out and stopping the throttle from opening any further. The throttle lever still has room to go but can't because of how it is hooked to the spark advance linkage.

3. Member
    Carb WOT.jpg This is a better image of my carb when my throttle levers are maxed out.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer412 View Post
    Carb WOT.jpg This is a better image of my carb when my throttle levers are maxed out.

You now need to do a complete Sync-n-Link on this engine. More than likely it was already needed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You now need to do a complete Sync-n-Link on this engine. More than likely it was already needed.
    I will read some manuals and watch some videos to get the sync-n-link complete. What's concerning to me and also what I am trying to diagnose is how on earth it got so far out of whack. Judging by the linkage adjustments and how far off it is, it would seem like on of the pivot points of the linkage was mounted backwards or somebody just disassembled and reassembled it blindfolded.

6. Member
    +++++ 1 too adjusting all linkages and timing set up as per serv manual
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +2!!! Re-read what Joe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Man
    ... as per serv manual

Use ONLY the OEM Service Manual, written for and specified for your engine serial number. Strongly encourage you avoid the "tube" videos... they're great for amusement, and in many cases wasting money and time.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    If you do end up taking a shot at it, I think this is the service Manual for your specific motor.
    I used Mercury's website to identify which one is needed off of serial number.

13645 2 - 70/75/80/90 3 CYL (1987 - 1993) & 100/115 4 CYL (1988 - 1993)

They do not have an online download available from Mercury.
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12