Bass fishing on perch lakes

Hi all,

200 acre pond that gets to 70 ft. Clear with algal blooms in the summer. Interested in hearing how you would tackle a lake with largemouth and smallmouth that doesn't have any baitfish other than schooled yellow perch. Its typically hard to bottom fish because of a green slime on the bottom due to algal blooms. So crawfish imitators are challenging as well. I have some standard approaches that are hit or miss, was just wondering if there is something I may not be thinking of.

2. Member
    A lot of times a chatterbait will shed weeds and even algae. I like the bluegill patterns with yellow trailers to imitate perch in our northern lakes.

3. Member
    Im headed to a lake in a couple weeks that has Yellow Perch also.Went thru some boxes and filled one plano box with hard baits all in Perch colors.Didnt know I had that many as its not a color I throw much.Zman Bug z on a drop shot above the slime will get it done.

Find the summer thermocline and fish above that, for starters.

Drop shot keeps your bait above the slime. But finding clean bottom is even better, and I'd be really surprised if there's none in there. Finding those small areas with clean, hard bottom will probably find you the motherlode. The harder those places are to find, the more stacked up they are usually.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    Anything green pumpkin, watermelon red, or watermelon color works well in those type of lakes. Every lake i fish has perch, and those are basically what i use most. If it’s tea colored water in the mountains then it’s black or some variation of black to match leeches.

mad far as keeping it out of the slime, DrewFlu33 won’t steer you wrong. Find the areas with clean bottom and you’ll get bit. The fish really don’t like that algae on the bottom
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Perch colored jerkbaits and swimbaits should do you good for moving baits to keep up out of the algae on the bottom.

Other than that, I would try a dropshot with as light of a sinker you can get away with. Josh Douglas (a pro from Minnesota) uses some clear tubing to over the swivel and the knot on a dropshot to protect against rocks but it also does well against algae too. This essentially streamlines the sinker so there are no edges for the sinker to catch the snot on if that makes sense.

8. Member
    Soft plastics/ light jigheads.

Perch spybait, swimbaits.